Friday, June 14, 2013

"When I was 18, I thought my father was pretty dumb. After a while when I got to be 21, I was amazed to find out how much he'd learned in three years." Frank Butler, Author

Good morning and welcome to Friday where it will be here with us at least until that first tick of the clock past midnight tonight, but, welcome, and I do hope you enjoy this June 14, 2013. The calendar indicates this upcoming Sunday to be that day when we pause to remember dads. The photo I've chosen tells a huge story. First is my dad, Senior, who gave me life, and I proudly carry his name. I know a few things about him but since he left us for his reward in January of 1954, well, so much is shrouded in mystery, but I do thank God for him. Next, is my mom's dad, my grandfather, Andrew Rancher McMillan, who we proudly called Paw Paw Mac. He was the dad influence in my life for much of my formative years. What a man! I just wish in so many ways that I could be half the man he was. God knew what He was doing when he put him in my life. So much of who I am today reflects his impact. Then last but certainly not least, my step dad for these nearly 36 years, Jose Chavez. He is my dad and I proudly call him dad and when I think about him I think about his devotion to mom, and to our huge blended family. I think about the words: faithfulness, honor, and serving. It's a heritage that I carry with me every single day of my life. Thanks be to God for the memories of my real dad and my granddad. And, thanks be to God for my living dad that I am privileged to show honor to, hopefully, much more than just this upcoming Sunday. Amen.

Music is a huge part of my life. Sometimes when I want to remember someone, I call up a song. I've listened to this rendering of the Irish tune, The Old Man, a few dozen times over the years. When I do, I remember my granddad, but you can feel free to remember someone special to you. Here's John McDermott: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmPP0lWDP6I

My wife is due home today from her vacation get-away to Branson. She and her sister and brothers had a great time. It's always good for her to be home so that we can have our program functioning like it has for these forty nine years. Sounds boring? Not at all. Sounds like home to me. Sounds like the way it should be. It's been good to hear how our dear Brother Milton enjoyed his time on their trip. As so many of you know, he, a man of God, has been through monumental health challenges during the past five years. A preacher of God's Word for nearly fifty years, he has been someone to look up to throughout his journey for the Lord. He also was the preacher boy, who, as a young man, stood before us and pronounced Marilyn and I to be husband and wife. Cleon, the eldest in the family, is known in his community for his integrity and as an ideal neighbor to all. Her sister Dorothy is a living, breathing, Proverbs 31 woman, through and through. I could not have been more blessed to have Marilyn's entire family become my family. Her parents were always supportive and loving. I could easily have included her dad, also a minister, in my tribute to dads. Brother Rawles always built me up and our times of personal interaction and fellowship continue to be great memories that I treasure. I know they had a dog and maybe a cat or two but I can't remember if they were good to me or not. They probably were. I hope so. You know. The full circle of blessing, or something like that. Bottom line: I am blessed folks. Blessed indeed!

The good news is how that my wife connects into my family in exactly the same way, if not more so. Sounds like I am bragging, but I am not. I am thankful because I've heard the war stories throughout the years of people who have conflict and trouble with their in-laws. There's even a genre of comedy that features these aggravations. I've never been able to use any of it, period. I worked with a fellow once that wished they could literally leave the country during the holidays because of the confusion and conflict between their two families. He was serious, and it was on both sides. That has always caused me to be thankful and while some might think it to be a small thing, I know how distressed he was, and I'm sure there are many just like him. Let me be clear: We haven't had a perfect family experience in our home, with my wife's folks, or with my folks, but, we've always had a consistent mutually expressed love and appreciation from all sides and that is the reason for my thankfulness. God is good all the time. All the time God is good. Have a great Saturday and may all the dads be recognized and honored on Lord's Day Sunday, Father's Day. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: