Tuesday, July 10, 2012

When a wreck occurs during the race, well, that's just racing. When it impacts your driver, well, somebody needs to answer for that one!

It's Tuesday, July 10, 2012, and I bid you welcome from here at the old blogger ranch. I try not to be as intense as I used to be when watching a sporting event on TV. I try. Occasionally, I let one slip up on me. Last Saturday evening I was watching the summer NASCAR race from Daytona. The driver I follow, Jeff Gordon, had some temperature issues early on that kept him a little timid in the early stages. About half way through he became much stronger and was running up front. He was running third, minding his own business, when his team called him into the pits for tires and refueling. As he was slowing down to go into the pits, he got caught up in an accident that had suddenly occurred behind him. Now that just infuriated me. Rarely do you ever see a driver get into the wreck behind them when they are slowing down. He was beat up and banged around but got back into line at about 30th. With just a handful of laps left he patiently was making his way back up towards the front and then at the very end, another big crash that took out multiple cars. Jeff somehow continued driving and crossed the finish line 12th. When I went to bed I had trouble falling asleep. That's a sure sign that I was overwrought. A good reminder. Don't take stuff like a car race so serious and get out of the kitchen, early, if it begins to get too hot. I should have.

Now you know one of my faults. What's that? You didn't know I had any. You have not been paying much attention is all I have to say. That Bible verse that says we are to confess our faults to one another, well, in my situation, that might just end up having to be done as a series, with episodes each week to get caught up. This up coming Wednesday evening I plan to be teaching from Hebrews Chapter 12. That's the passage that speaks about our lives as believers using the metaphor of a distance race on foot. The writer tells us we are to run our race without being loaded down with weights. Those weights have to do with the baggage we carry from the things we allow into our life that shouldn't be there. He talks about laying aside the sin that so easily besets. Every person has something that fits this category. Oh. It might not be one of what we think of as a biggie like the old saying, "I don't drink and I don't chew and I don't go with the girls that do." But, from God's perspective, any and all sin is big. It could be hatred, malice, envy, anger, or even something as obscure as indifference. You know. The not doing of what God would have us to do. But, at any rate, no foot runner in a race in his right mind would load up his backpack with 200 pounds of extra weight and then go out and try to win the race. How then is it that we are to run? Lay aside all those things that would hinder, and most important of all, eliminate distractions by keeping your eyes on Jesus, who is the Author and the Finisher of our faith. Amen. (Hebrews 12: 1-2)

We can get caught up in an event without even noticing it. We have watched a number of the Olympic finals for choosing the Americans who will represent our country in Great Britain later this month. We are not huge fans of diving, swimming, gymnastics, track, and other events. Then why in the world would I be straining to help someone get to the finish line? How silly is that? Me, sitting in my recliner, leaning forward to help them gain that final reach. We are the same way when we watch American Ninja Warrior. We are for the competitors as they attempt some very challenging obstacles and we end up trying to help them with our grunts, groans, and strains.That, I suppose, is a part of the human condition. It actually even impacts the wife who usually is fairly neutral about sporting events. Her thoughts about my driver when she sees me upset is that he should immediately retire from the sport typically worded: "Why doesn't he just quit?" I try to reason with her. I tell her he is only in his early 40's and he is, like, making millions of dollars each year, and he continues to be one of the most popular drivers in the sport, and he is still capable. That's how it plays out at our house. It may play out differently at your place. You may feel that way about The Wheel of Fortune. I know some folks who call themselves Wheel watchers. They have a special credit card connected to the show that somehow entitles them to some prizes if their number comes up. They would schedule emergency surgery around watching that program. See what I mean? We are a quirky bunch aren't we? Yours might be different than mine but we all have them. Have a great Tuesday and may the Lord bless each one. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: