Thursday, July 26, 2012

Saying: "The best use of time is to devote it to something that will outlast it."

Welcome back. I do trust that you are well today, on this Thursday, July 26, 2012. I read the death notice of a fellow the other day. He was married to a lady that I once had a date with when she was just a young teenager back in 1961. It was our first date. We had a wreck. I was in a borrowed car. We made it. The car didn't. Obviously, it was not a very good way to start off a relationship. And, that pretty much ended it. I'm sure her mom who was pretty much like my mom made it clear, "You will not go off with that boy again." Who could blame her? She and her husband enjoyed a long marriage, some 46 years. He was a preacher. They stayed right there in that little town where we grew up. Cancer claimed his life. He was well respected and I had noticed over the years that his name showed up as the minister at many funerals. I sent a note of condolence in the online guest book from myself and my wife with a sentiment that God would bring comfort to each heart. The good news for that family is the testimony of changed lives that he touched while making his sojourn here on the planet. It also puts people like me, (and you), on notice that as the country song says, "Ain't it funny how time slips away?" Amen.

None of us like to think about the fact that each day we live moves us closer to that departure appointment we all have in our future. It seems this has been a reoccurring theme for me of late. My visit with my brother in law, my visit with my doctor, and seeing time slip away in the lives of others, well, perhaps I needed a reminder of what I heard growing up. "Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last." That line became famous as it was often used as sermon material and as a way that faith based folks would encourage one another in their walk with the Lord. The line was lifted from a poem by a Missionary named C. T. Studd, 1860-1930. It pretty much sums it up because as the old preachers used to say, "You never see a hearse with a U-Haul behind it." This doesn't mean that we should be depressed or downhearted, it's just a reminder that we are all traveling at the speed of life and we need to appreciate what really matters along the way.

I know. Some days my writing can trend towards things that we all would rather not think about. That's why it clearly is my thoughts expressed in my daily blog. I was told one day by a faithful reader that the good thing about my daily visit is how that in one way or another I try to point people to God and His provision through Jesus Christ. I'm glad they noticed. There is a reason I do this. While I may not have it together on any given day and I may be all over the page, so to speak, I do know the Source of strength that can help us to make it, one step at a time as we deal with the life He has given to us.  Believe me, my daily blogs are not intended to be an intimate sharing of any and all thoughts I have. I'm just not put together in a way that would allow me to share a dear diary approach to my day by day living. However, I do attempt to hit the high points and maybe the low ones as well. That's because it does reflect the fabric of life. Thanks for tuning in and may God bless each one. Amen.               ......More later.

No comments: