Monday, July 9, 2012

The Mama's and the Papas: "Monday, monday, can't trust that day Monday, monday, sometimes it just turns out that way...."


I am aware of the Monday morning blues syndrome. I see it quite often but since it has never been that prevalent in my own personal  experience, I still find it hard to understand. It is that dreaded day for so many, Monday, and this one happens to land on July 9, 2012. I am well aware of those who begin their party time Friday evening and run it into the final hours of Sunday. That would make anyone's Monday difficult. However, that's not the right answer for all of those who drag in. It has something to do with mindset. Back to work Monday during these tight employment times should be a cause for celebration. Yet, I see them every week. They can be seen stumbling and sleepwalking their way to the time clock. Many of them carry in their hands one of those super sized drinks that contains enough caffeine to ignite a bonfire. Unfortunately, they will need some help getting the can open. Sure. I know that not everyone is a morning person. But when you are not a Monday person and also not a morning person, I suppose that's a double whammy in trying to get yourself up and going. Those of you who know me are mumbling right now. I do hear what you are saying. If I didn't get up at 3:30 a.m. each day I could maybe understand a little better these kinds of challenges. That may be true but just so you know, I have plenty of my own to deal with but thankfully Monday or morning are not on my list, that is, not at this time.

I said I didn't understand. I am sure not criticizing or condemning because I've been around long enough to know that things you thought you would never do, well, they have a way of doing a boomerang on you and then you end up with a huge plate of crow to eat. There's a lot of theories about where that figure of speech or idiom, 'eating crow', came from. It may have originated in ancient times because the crow was grouped with other birds that ate the rotted flesh of dead animals and people. Therefore, eating crow would have had a very unpleasant ring to it, like maybe a meal of fried buzzard. It is found in print in the early 1850's as part of a humorous story about a farmer who claimed to be able to eat anything. At any rate, it has the connotation of being humiliated after being proved wrong where someone had taken a strong position. I suppose it is akin to eating humble pie. Now that one typically involves having to apologize after being discovered as being wrong. It also dates back to medieval times where it was a real pie. It was a meat pie thought of as being inferior because it was made out of animal innards, especially deer parts, the heart, liver, lungs, and kidneys. Yum yum. If I thought long enough I could probably remember a time when both of these pies were on the menu after one of my classic mess ups. No. I am not going to think long enough to share one of those with you. But, trust me. I have been there and done that.

I grew up in a small rural town. In some ways, Andy Griffith's portrayal of Mayberry reminded me of my hometown. In some ways. His death last week caused many to reminiscence about that wonderful show. I think most people realized that things don't always work out the way they did on that program. I heard Andy in an interview a few years ago talking about how that his role as Sheriff Andy Taylor did forever typecast him into the hearts and minds of millions. He said that while he was able to play off his upbringing in a small town, he was an actor, and in his opinion, he was not as good a person as Andy Taylor. Who could be? When he would play a role of a bad guy he said his mailbox would be stuffed with letters begging him not to ever do that again. His fans wanted him to always be their hero. I grew up among characters. Some I can recall and a smile immediately comes to my face. Similarly, that show was great because of the variety of characters we saw each week and how we learned to know and love them. I suppose we all enjoy an escape from that reality that grips our days and that's exactly what Andy's show did. It allowed us to take a break in a fun and wholesome manner. I still watch it from time to time. And, even though I've seen most of them more than a few times, I still laugh because it's still funny. I do hope you will have a great Monday and Lord willing I'll see you tomorrow here at the old blogger ranch. Goodbye for now and may God bless. Amen.        .....More later.

No comments: