Thursday, July 5, 2012

Welcome Back!

It is Thursday, July 5, 2012. I trust you enjoyed your 4th of July celebration. Having a one day holiday that falls right smack in the middle of the work week does tend to get things a little out of sync. I do know quite a few folks who took vacation so they could extend the holiday but for those of us who didn't, we will have to adjust. For me, the things I would have coordinated for Wednesday had to be put off until Thursday and that meant they had to be finalized on Tuesday instead of Wednesday because some of them were to be accomplished early Thursday morning. You don't need a score card to keep up but I didn't say it wouldn't help. It is a part of how it works and I am thankful to be a part of an environment where I can do something to make a difference each day. I'm not saying I can do things like I did when I was much younger, but given the opportunities, I thank God that He has provided me the abilities and the strength to do what I can do. One thing is sure, I do still take work seriously and I am still bothered when when are not performing at our best. Some would say too bothered at times, but the way I see it, caring enough is where progress and improvement starts.

I do have my annual physical examination coming up next week. I have been studying for it. That's pretty funny when you think about it. I find myself trying to get my weight in a little better range and I am trying to wrestle my blood sugar numbers into a more manageable profile. Since the blood testing, (H1ac), looks at the blood sugar for the last three months, well, anything done within the last few days won't make that much of a difference. But incentives can come in any and all flavors and I suppose I'm using this upcoming appointment as a way of sharpening my focus, a little. I might as well get me one of those trick mirrors that makes me look thin and be done with it. I read somewhere that 100 laughs a day is equal to 10 minutes of exercise but today's world with all of its troubles doesn't offer too much to laugh about. I also heard that losing weight when you are older is harder because your body and your fat have over the years become such dear friends. I bet you didn't know that folks carrying extra pounds are happier, more successful in business, smarter, and friendlier. Some take issue with that bit of research since it was funded by the following: McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, Jack in the Box, Pizza Hut, Blue Bell Ice Cream, and Krispy Kreme Donuts. I thought it was pretty decent research myself.

I was talking with someone the other day about how that some kids are in for a real shock when they start their first job. A college education is a wonderful accomplishment but it will never guarantee that a person will not have to work their way up. That is especially true in today's tight employment environment. These kids come into the workforce with something other than entry level in mind but often that is exactly where employers want them to start. The good news for them is that if they do well they should move up more quickly because of their education. I read this little funny story that reflects upon this:  "A young man was hired by a supermarket and reported for his first day of work. The manager greeted him with a warm handshake and a smile, then gave him a broom and said, 'Son, your first job will be to sweep out the store.' 'But I'm a college graduate,' the young man replied indignantly. 'Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that,' said the manager. 'Here, give me the broom -- I'll show you how.'" Expectations and reality. They do collide sometimes. I also read the results from a huge study that discovered our ideas about success are somewhat misleading. It found that the best and brightest do not always succeed but for lack of a better way to describe it, they found that great success was more of a being in the right place at the right time than in being a genius. I know what you are thinking. It would have had to been that way if I ever achieved anything. Maybe so, and, also they didn't mention it but I will, God does work on behalf of those who belong to Him. Amen.            More later.

No comments: