Monday, July 30, 2012

Cantankerously conflicted, but continuing to continue on.

Hello out there to those who are connected via the world wide internet highway. That's a very fast highway with a whole lot of traffic, so be real careful how you drive your access device. It's Monday, July 30, 2012. Some folks are puzzled as to why I am not strongly decided as to my vote for the upcoming presidential election. It's pretty simple. What does or does not violate and/or contradict my core values? I look at the African American Church who have traditionally stood up for the biblical standards reflected in issues like marriage, homosexuality, and abortion. This year the majority from that community pretty much have said they are willing to put these aside in terms of their support. That's big folks. Very big indeed. I am well aware of the lesser of two evils approach to choosing elected officials. I am also familiar with either holding your nose or wearing a clothespin when you go to pull the lever. However, my continued dilemma deals with this battle raging inside my spirit. It may work itself out before November or I may have to be the non committed vote which I will be informed immediately how that this type of vote will go to one or the other candidate by default. I heard a young teacher the other day saying he wished we could just start over. I told him that our system has become corrupted to the extent that while I also think that not a bad idea, but with all the gimmicks in place, it's only a wishful thought. We will have to see, my friend, we will have to wait and see.

You have one candidate who has pretty much turned upside down most if not all the traditional values we have embraced since our founding. The other candidate is a true believer in a cult/pagan religion that while they tirelessly call themselves Christian, it certainly is not the same as found in the Holy Bible. Their efforts to mainstream themselves is working to the extent that when a prominent preacher recently called them out, he was roundly criticized, even by those within the conservative faith community. But, let me be very clear. I will recognize the authority of, and pray for whomever becomes the President of our nation. I believe that is a clear tenant established for believers in the teachings from God's Word. I will also fully participate in the election process even if it is to cast a no vote or to write in another candidate. That is also a right given to us in our form of government. Maybe I will be able to sort all of this out as I pray about it and seek God's best for our country. But the struggle is one that I believe is worth having.

I thought you might enjoy a little political dialogue with your breakfast this morning. Not so much? So let's change the subject. How's the world treating you these days? What about the weather? And, just how are you doing anyway? Did I hear you correctly? You said fine. Right? Fine would probably jump out without even a blink of our eye because we have knee jerked that response until it operates on auto pilot. It's okay to be feeling fine. In fact, I love that Southern Gospel song, "I'm Feeling Mighty Fine." It is one of my all time favorites or as the kids today say, one of my favs.  I leave you with the chorus, and when you say 'fine' and it connects to these thoughts, well, you would be blessed beyond what this world can see: OH, YES I'M FEELING MIGHTY FINE, I'VE GOT HEAVEN ON MY MIND ~ DON'T YOU KNOW I WANT TO GO, WHERE THE MILK AND HONEY FLOW. ~ THERE'S A LIGHT THAT ALWAYS SHINES, DOWN INSIDE THIS HEART OF MINE ~ I'VE GOT HEAVEN ON MY MIND AND NOW I'M FEELING MIGHTY FINE. Have a great Monday and may God bless each one. Amen.    ...More later.

No comments: