Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I report, I decide, and then what?

Yes. It is Wednesday, July 25, 2012, and I send out a hearty hello to one and all. I am glad to report that I survived my wellness examination. And, just for the record, they did too! I want you to know that I was on my best behavior. I actually attempted to use the most positive wording I could think of. "Since you specialize in the treatment of diabetes, where do you see my program going in the future?" After all, he does specialize in that area and it was the number one reason I chose him as my primary care physician. I know that for those who have diabetes I have been blessed to be able to control it as well as I have. Especially compared to others. And, make no mistake about it, I feel very blessed about this, very blessed indeed. However, while I am not complaining, I must tell you that compared to others does not really help me to focus on where I am in terms of making progress. This is why I do my best to be actively engaged as opposed to just sitting on the sidelines. My understanding is that this disease never takes a break and never sits on the sidelines.

I shared that little replay with you because I want to encourage everyone to become informed and involved in their own health situation. For us older folks, the system is designed to limit. What am I talking about? Just that, limit. Limit the time they take. Limit the resources they use. And, the big one, limit their costs. Not yours. Theirs. This means if you are to get the most out of your participation in the medical system, you have to hit the ground running. In an advantage plan like we use they give you the time allotment as part of the appointment. And, based on my experience, I can assure you they will make it shorter if they possibly can. I am not negative about all of this, just trying to share the facts as I see them. Often the time is shorter when you and I fail to interact fully with the opportunity we have. When you are with your doctor it is not the time for the 'don't ask, don't tell' approach. I think that's enough of a public service announcement for one day so I will try to move on.

But you do know how it is. Old people and their ailments. Right? But it does give us something to talk about. Speaking of that reminds me of some people who just seem to share more information than is really necessary. Maybe it's all the medical talk shows on TV. It happens even when you are trying to eat. Hearing way too much in the way of graphic and gory details is really hard to listen to when you are eating. What's up with that anyway? Busted this or that with fluids spewing here and there does not really compliment one's dinner, if you get my drift. I had a recent experience like that and I not only lost my appetite but I'm not sure I could have stood up right away because of how weak and wobbly my knees were. Maybe it's generational. I know when we were growing up there were things you never mentioned at the dinner table. They were off limits. Breaking those rules could have serious ramifications. Like a good swat and if it was thought to be too egregious, you even lost access to the meal being served. That did make us think twice before we shared any questionable comments at the table. It is a different world folks, a different world indeed. Have yourself a wonderful and blessed Wednesday and until next time, may God bless each one. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: