Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The reality of life includes having to say farewell, for now.

Hello again. It is Wednesday, July 18, 2012. My wife left Sunday after services at our local fellowship to go and be with her sister and their family as our brother in law Charles continues to be very critical. I am thankful she was able to go. Her and her sister are so very close and I am thankful she retired when she did because it gives her so much more flexibility. It is always different when she is gone. I suppose it works that way after nearly 48 years. The routine as far as schedule is concerned stays somewhat the same but it's very obvious that something is out of sync, missing, and maybe even a little awkward. My wife grew up in a preacher's home. She is used to ministering in all kinds of situations. And, her entire family are close and they are there for each other when needed. Thinking about this current challenge has been tough. On me. I think about them and their children. I think about our children. Our three boys and their two boys are close in age. We as believers have a longing to be at home with our Savior while at the same time we sense how difficult it will be to say farewell to those we love. May God be with them all as they seek His strength at this time. Amen.

Thinking about my life in the context of its limitations makes me aware that I've not always made the best use of it. I'm not talking about that famous list called the Bucket List of things I want to experience before I kick the bucket. I don't have a problem with folks who have adopted this approach as part of their creed but for me, it's more of me having not used to the fullest potential the advantages and opportunities that God has given to me. Most of that is water under the bridge and really there's no getting that spilled milk back into the bottle. However, there is one thing that I can do something about. It's called today. It is very easy to be paralyzed by the past in how you should have, would have, or could have. When we allow the past to occupy our thoughts and our time we rob ourselves of the potential we still have to make a difference. I think that is really what most of us would like to leave behind. An influence for good and a positive difference in the lives of others. Beginning with our families. I suppose all of this reflection on life has put me into a contemplative mood. But, it is a worthwhile consideration and one that I think we all need to do, from time to time. And, the Scriptures do emphasize the today aspect of life where we use all that God has given to us for His honor and glory. Amen.

I read about a lady in Michigan who says she kept the corpse of her close friend with her for 18 months so they could watch NASCAR together. I sure hope that's not how you define a true fan. But, it does seem that she also continued to cash his social security checks, therefore, I suppose there might have been more to it than just car racing. I'm surprised I haven't gotten any emails about this news blurb. But I will go ahead and set the record straight. I do watch NASCAR. In fact, this past weekend I watched the Nationwide race on Friday evening, the Truck race on Saturday night, and the Sprint Cup race Sunday afternoon. I also watched the preliminaries. I don't do that all the time. And, believe me, I can just as easily miss a race if I have something else to do. My main complaint is the commercials and those covering the races. There's like maybe a dozen sponsors who buy time on these races and their commercials run over and over again. Some of the same sponsors are on all the races. Evaluate what they are selling and you pretty much get an idea of who they think might be watching. By the way, that prized 25 to 49 age group they target for marketing purposes left me out a long time ago. (Is anyone else ready to explode the next time you hear about the 5 Hour Energy Drink?) As for the commentators, there are some that make me turn the sound down real low just so I don't have to hear them talk. My biggest pet peeve is to have someone explain something in detail that even a child can see and understand. If all of that added together along with me listening to NASCAR on my satellite radio makes me a fan, well, all I can do is quote ole DW, "Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Let's go racin boys!". (I know, it's girls too but you can quote it the way you want to.) Have yourself a great day and may God bless each one. Amen.      .....More later.

No comments: