Friday, January 13, 2012

Winter must be really cold for those who have no warm memories.

Okay. Here we go again. It is Friday, January 13, 2012 and I bid you a warm welcome on this rather cold morning. Since we are dealing with some below freezing temps here, it brings up the opportunity to share some cold weather related funnies. Here's the set up: It was so cold the .....politicians put their hands in their own pockets. (One of my favorites, by the way.) It was so cold the pet stores began selling penguins. ~ ...the police tell the robber to freeze and he does, he actually freezes. ~ ...the optician began giving out scrapers for people to scrape the ice off their eyes. ~ ...the silly putty became serious. ~ ...the smoke coming out of the chimney had to be broken off. ~ ...the snowman begged not to be left out at night. ~ ...the cows were rubbing up against the electric fence. ~ ...the neighbor had to chop up his piano for firewood but he was only able to get two chords. ~ ...the hot sauce was added to every meal hoping to get some heartburn. ~ ...the parents were praying that they and the children would get cabin fever. ~ ...the person writing this blog read through about 400 so cold jokes, so you wouldn't have to. ~ The End. You may have your own 'it was so cold' story. Most of us do. Mine include some stories from back when I would go hunting with my grandfather. We had very little in the way of winter clothing and being out on a deer stand before daylight after having broken ice on the puddles with your tennis shoes, walking in the dark, well, it was some of the most miserable fun I've ever had. I wouldn't trade it for anything. These were the times where my grandfather taught me to just say no to the cold, and those times became great memories that warm my heart, even on a cold day, even on a day like today.

It's somewhat discouraging to see what is happening in the development of the upcoming presidential contest. President Obama and his advisers have decided that only one approach will work for them. They must divide the people of our nation based on any and everything they can come up with. Race, creed, color, religion, income, status, you name it, they will be using it to create as much acrimony as they can. Why? Because that's what's best for the nation? No. It's a political calculation they believe will work to get him reelected. I'm not saying they don't believe that him being reelected is a good thing for the country. They do. I don't. But they do and this means they will do whatever they believe will make this a reality. This strategy based on class warfare may well see things happen that we haven't experienced in many years. While I certainly hope for the best I fear that things like rioting and perhaps even worse as people are stirred up to rise up against each other. The so called occupy movement is a down payment on this type of negative energy that causes havoc for those trying to go about their daily affairs. This is how I see their strategy playing out. How sad that in just four years they would jettison the hope and change positive message they claimed they believed in for one where they pit Americans against their fellow citizens. The power of this office is intoxicating and we are likely in for a very bumpy ride. In spite of this, I remain positive. Not because I feel strongly about any of the candidates who will likely run against the President. It's for one reason only. I believe God and His Word. He is in control. My trust is in Him and I know that regardless of what happens, good, bad, or indifferent, He is on the side of those who have put their faith and trust in Him. Of this I am sure! Amen.

The doctor's visit went as expected. I said to him, blah, blah, blah. And he replied, blah, blah, blah. He asked about my numbers. Those are the ones that come from sticking a sharp object into an otherwise perfectly good fingertip. That produces what is called a droplet of blood. You then chase that droplet with a little strip and when they come in contact the strip is read by a special device producing a blood glucose reading. I gave him a summary of my readings but he ordered up the full slate of blood tests to see for himself. It's like, yeah, I hear what you are saying but lets do the testing anyway. Just joking. They do the testing for a number of reasons and going into them will only prolong this boring story and extend the pain. Therefore, we end the week the same way we started the week. Seeking God and His help for ourselves, our families, folks in need, and our nation and our world. (Just for the record, it is only barely below freezing although it will likely knock off a degree or two before the sun comes up.) We had some very stout winds over the past couple of days and it is now dead calm. To me, that makes the cold a whole lot less of a problem but I know it doesn't work that way for everyone. Have yourself a wonderful Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and may we all get our year kicked off by being faithful to assemble with other believers to learn more about our great God and to be prepared to serve Him. Amen.          ........More later.

No comments: