Monday, January 30, 2012

This year's politics is serving up a buffet with lots to offer but most of it is stale, inedible, or ruined.

Welcome back to our program which is already in progress. What program? The program of life, my friend, and I bid you a hearty hello here where it plays itself out on the only day we can do much about, this one, Monday, January 30, 2012. Speaking of programs, I have tried to watch some of the Republican debates but for the most part, they have been in rerun mode for some time now. After about 30 minutes you get the most of what is likely to come out of that particular program. My take is that they are having far too many of them, (19 thus far with many more to come.), and according to the latest polling, the mud fest going on is mostly helping the President. They most likely believe that when the smoke clears they will have time to repair some of this national damage but I'm not encouraged by any of them, therefore, I am praying that God will intervene in some fashion. I did hear someone say the other day that God is intervening by allowing us to have what we are living through at the moment. Maybe God is waiting on our nation to return to the values that we were founded upon. I know that many of my friends and neighbors have resigned themselves to a vote for anyone who is nominated to run against President Obama. I very much understand that sentiment, however, I will, if I feel led, write in a person's name that I feel is a better choice. That's my leaning at the moment and I am thankful that in this country we have that right, even to be wrong. It is still something we all should be praying about. Amen.

I suppose some of you think I must be a pessimist but that would not be true. Realist perhaps, but obviously one who knows that we are in trouble and the further we travel down this road it is the more that we need our God to work on our behalf. That said, we also are confident that all things do work together for good to all who love the Lord their God and are the called according to His purpose. (My rendition of the thoughts expressed in Romans 8:28.) Yesterday our class read from Matthew Chapter 11 where we have that remarkable account noting how that John the Baptist had sent some of his followers to ask Jesus if He was really the Coming One or should they be expecting another. The great man John known for his baptism denoting repentance was shut up in prison and his questions indicated that he was perhaps confused and maybe even a little depressed as he viewed how things were going. How could that be? This great man of God? Yes, it can happen to any believer. John was the last of the Old Testament Prophets and his vision of Messiah most likely included an immediate change from the evil rule of Rome to the claiming of the throne of David by Jesus the Christ. Jesus had a word for John. He sent back his followers and told them to remind John of all the miracles that were being performed and how the Gospel was being preached to the poor. He then added this: "Blessed is he who is not offended in Me." Faith. That was the answer Jesus sent to John and that is the answer He sends to us today: Keep on keeping on in your belief in your God and be thankful for the privilege of knowing Him through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

My wife and I visited a dear older lady in the hospital yesterday. This wonderful sister in Christ had been admitted due to stroke like symptoms. And, no wonder. She has been for a long time now busy 24x7 taking care of her ailing husband. But she is a champion of faith and it was our distinct privilege to pray with her as we called out to God together. At a time when many would throw in the towel she expressed her faith in God, that He would somehow work it all out. I know the world in general looks at people of faith and thinks we operate this way just so we can cope with life's challenges. We would be the first to admit there are challenges for us all but our faith life is not based on some form of psychology, no, it is founded in the Person of our Great God: Father, Son, Holy Spirit. Our faith is real because our God is real. And, we are aware that faithfulness does not always mean a successful outcome as the world counts success. Our great hero, John the Baptist, received this word back from Jesus, and I believe that he was refreshed and encouraged. I know. That's not written in the text but I'm giving you my thoughts. Why do I think this? Because Jesus knows how to send us the encouragement we need. I suppose then that everything turned out okay for John? Not as the world would assess it. Those who read and study know that not too long after this event John was executed by the King. The world would say John didn't succeed, yet, Jesus said he was one of the greatest men ever to walk on the face of the earth. He also lived his life focused on doing the will of God and in fulfilling the calling God had placed on his life. Therefore, John is forever in the presence of his God. That is the success of a faith filled life and it is one that should encourage us all today. Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: