Monday, January 9, 2012

Wishing our Brady Darrell a wonderful 6th birthday!

It's another wonderful day in the neighborhood here on this Monday, January 9, 2012. Yeah, today is the day that we will know who reigns supreme as champion of the college football world. But we just happen to be blessed to have our very own champion who turns six today, our Brady Darrell. Brady is the youngest of our youngest Rodney and his wife Mitzi. Brady's sisters Kyleigh and Lexie round out a wonderful family. I know it's not necessarily politically correct but the rhyme heard back in the day about what little boys are made of fits our Brady to a tee. "Frogs and snails And puppy-dogs' tails." That would be just about right. He is a rough and tumble, fun loving, little dude and we are so very proud to be his MiMi and Poppy. Brady at times reminds me that he might just have training wheels on in preparation to be the next Steve Martin's 'wild and crazy guy.' On Christmas Day he and his six year old cousin Alex played like their dads used to play, old school, outside in the damp and cold, and they did have a ball. Watching them out of the kitchen window was like seeing something on the old Super 8 movie film. Our family is so blessed to have such a wonderful collection of offspring, each with their standout personalities and unique characteristics. Mr. Brady can hold his own in continuing the legacy of an outside of the box personality. He is a hoot and we love him very much. Happy Birthday Brady and may God bless you on this, your 6th birthday!

You will remember that newfangled weighing device we brought into our home that I talked about several blogs ago. When you walk into the bathroom it's as if he is staring at you, daring you to get on, and in general, seems to display some very menacing characteristics. He may not like the fact that I've made him repeat his calculations more than once because I wasn't sure he had the right answer. That does seem to make him a little more cross. But, I have been legitimately trying to give him a little less to contend with each time I step on. It has something to do with my six month diabetic check-up coming up this Thursday. I suppose I owe the primary nurse an explanation of sorts having loudly protested the lack of accuracy on the scale she used at my last visit. Now that we have the new electronic monster in our home, we know her scale was closer to the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Maybe she will not remember. They have so many patients. I do recall that when I protested she asked what I thought it should be and I told her what my scale at home said, and she wrote that down instead. Now that's what I call bedside manner! But coming out of the holidays I've got many targets that do need some attention and I can truthfully say that I am making progress. If I can, I hope to be able to report to my doctor that I am only around 5 pounds over my desired weight instead of the double digits I have been chasing. The exact number has been withheld based on a confidentiality agreement which means that I would rather not say, and I do know that many of you know exactly what I am talking about!

I wrote all of that so that you could smile along with me. I am mostly looking forward to my doctor's visit. I do try to make it a positive experience by being prepared before hand. I will likely do a checklist of items I want to discuss and that will make the best use of our time together. That doesn't mean we can't laugh about all the little quirks that make our lives what they are. Given the choice, I would just as soon not have to deal with diabetes. One thing I have observed. It is persistent and relentless. You may need some sleep but diabetes doesn't need any and he is on the job 24x7. Yet, I know others who are dealing with far more serious issues. They are in my daily prayers. We are surrounded by empirical data that prove the ravages of The Fall as reported in Genesis. I'll take God's explanation above any and all of what this world has to say. After all, He is the Creator, therefore, it would be silly to seek answers from the creation when we have God's word on it. See what I mean? An old preacher responded once to the claim that he was narrow minded. He pleaded guilty, held up his Bible, turned it sideways, and pointed to the width of its spine, and declared that he was as narrow minded as it was. I can fully identify with that sentiment. Not in a mean spirited way but in a loving way that points others to the truth. Have a great Monday and may God add His blessings to it. Amen.        .....More later.

No comments: