Monday, January 16, 2012

Taking time to appreciate those God has placed in your life.

Good to see you again and I do hope all is well as we reconnect here on Monday, January 16, 2012. We never know what a day will bring. Last Thursday I received a call informing me that our next door neighbor, Roscoe, had died in his sleep. Roscoe was seventy years young and by all accounts in excellent health. A Vietnam veteran, Roscoe was an icon in our neighborhood. He would help almost anyone to do almost anything. He loved working on bicycles for the children. He loved telling stories. He loved to laugh and carry on. On a number of occasions I asked him about his relationship with the Lord. He always told me he was sure of his faith in Christ. One thing is sure folks. That's a settled issue as of last Thursday morning. Roscoe wore his hair long and it was gleaming white. His beard was also white. You could spot him ten blocks away. He was a neighbor in word and in deed. We pray for his sister and others in his family as they deal with this loss. Often we talk about how wonderful it would be to go to sleep and wake up in heaven. We don't get to choose because God is in control. But we do know that we never know what a day might bring. Our son Jimmy was very close to Roscoe. He reported that in his last conversation on Wednesday evening, Roscoe said he was feeling better than he had in a long time. My point is this. We can all be reminded that as we get up each day, we are not guaranteed to see the sun set, or to embrace another morning, but we do have the moment that God has given to us. This should cause us all to think about how we will use the time He has provided to us. Amen.

On Friday morning I scanned my normal online newspapers and in particular looked at the obituaries. One of these is the Alexandria, Louisiana Towntalk. That's where I read of the passing of one John Langley, aged 80. John and his wife, Bernice, who died a number of years ago, were greatly influential in our young married days. We took a job in Alexandria back in the winter of 1965. We had an infant son. John was a Tech Sergeant in the United States Air Force. He was also my immediate supervisor. I have no idea why but he and Bernice took us in like we were a new addition to their family. We were just starting out at the bottom of the pay scale. They fed us. They carried us places. Looking back, it was uncanny. About seven years ago I called John to express my condolences over the loss of Bernice. It was a remarkable phone call. I carry my daddy's name, Cecil. No one calls me that but John used to. I had not seen or talked to John in maybe 25 years. When I told him who I was he responded, "Hey Ceeeeece!" It was like we had just been over for dinner. Here's why I am telling this story. God places people in our lives and perhaps we don't even recognize at the time what a tremendous blessing they are. I am thankful that I was able to personally thank John and I also had sent them a card once outlining how much we appreciate all they had done for us. They had a house full of kids folks. They had plenty to do. He was Cajun and Native American. She was a New York born and bred Yankee. We had almost nothing in common with them. But, for whatever reason, they took us in and I just can't help but give God praise for His provisions, even in some friends who contributed so much to our lives. Amen.

Thank You Street
John was a larger than life character. Stories. We have hundreds of them about our times together. People count. People matter. I heard an old timer a few years ago say that one of the things he hated most about growing old is in saying goodbye to so many friends and loved ones. Many would rather not give the subject of death even a thought or mention. However, it is as much a part of God's design in creation, after the fall, as anything else in this world. In fact, one only needs to do a very brief survey of The Scriptures to discover that God would have each and every person to think soberly about life here on the planet, about its temporary nature, and about the uncertainty of each day. In doing so we are presented with the truth about living forever in the presence of God. Jesus came to give witness to a message of hope. Hope based on acceptance of God's provision of salvation. Jesus said that when faith and trust in placed in Him, it is rewarded with a changed heart and life along with a guarantee for an eternity in the presence of God. (Read all about it in that famous interview between Nicodemus and Jesus the Christ, as recorded in the Gospel of John, Chapter 3.) Now here is my advice. If someone has made a difference in your life and they are still around and you have never expressed to them how you appreciate all they have done, you need to do something about it while you still have time, because as I said at the opening of today's blog, folks, we never know what each day will bring. May God bless each one. Amen.    ....More later.

No comments: