Thursday, January 5, 2012

Are we asleep at the wheel? Or, is this how we think we can make change work?

Hello Americans, Paul Harvey is no longer here to boom that salute out but we can still try and analyze the current events in his memory. Welcome to Thursday, January 5, 2012. We now know that Mitt Romney won the Iowa caucus results. That 8 vote margin of victory was a big boost for him, I suppose. On the eve of that contest, I found it interesting that over 40% of those who were determined to cast a ballot were still undecided. Undecided? After all the wailing, gnashing, and the spending of campaign dollars like there was no tomorrow, and they still had that many people who couldn't make up their minds. Wow! This, by the way, is what I have been saying all along. The cream is supposed to rise to the top folks but when you have a bunch of candidates where there just isn't much there, - - - there, well, you end up with folks making up their minds based on 'whatever' instead of being excited and enthused about a particular individual. I know that doesn't hold for each candidate. Ron Paul supporters who follow his libertarian principles are about as fanatical as they come. I'm no pundit but I cannot imagine an America with the honorable Mr. Paul being our President. Here's my problem. That over 40% undecided ends up creating a void of sorts into which Mr. Obama can fill up with his populist message of him being for the little guy. And, sadly, that just might mean he will be reelected. Not because he has earned that right but because we have not selected someone who can mount a campaign where people will move from the undecided to the committed in terms of supporting their election. And finally, the caveat that gets everyone off the hook: The thoughts and views expressed here belong to the blogger who is solely responsible. That would be me, in case you missed the fine print.

No Virginia, thanks for asking but Santa did not take a vacation away from the political shenanigans that define our times. I listened to the debate for and against the government monitoring of blogs, social networks, and others means of interactive communications between citizens. You know, like the one I am doing right now. One school of thought says it is an intrusion into our right to privacy but that doesn't make too much sense because we who write or communicate are putting it out there for the entire world to see. The other position is that our government should not be in the business of this type of surveillance since it could lead to abuse. That I understand as well. In my case, let them read all they want to. I obviously am not ashamed of what I have to say and in my own little way of looking at it, maybe some of them might learn a thing or two. But they might want to know that most of my writings also include a reminder that all power is ultimately in the hands of an Almighty God, therefore, they could end up being moved by His power in responding to the Gospel which would change them for time and eternity. So, welcome aboard all you prying eyes. Jesus loves me and you too. He proved it by coming into this world, living a perfect life, dying on The Cross for lost humanity, and then He resurrected and ascended back into His heavenly domain. You too can be saved. How? Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be, period, end of story!

I use the images because I am a visual person. A picture might not be worth that much in today's economy, but it still has power in conveying a message. I enjoy searching for the images that fit my stories, or, at times I actually find an image that prompts a story. Some of these I save and look for a way to use them. I have one in particular that I have had for some time now. It is a photograph of President Lincoln. Someone very cleverly altered the photo to show him holding a boom box. I've not come up with a proper story yet to fit it but it just seemed too good to pass. That's right. I can now use it to show you by way of illustration. That will allow me to share it and delete it because to tell you the truth it has bugged me for months because I haven't come up with a good story for it. I thought about writing a Presidential rap for Honest Abe but never spent the time, but now you know a little about how some of this stuff ends up being on the page. And, perhaps even why some of it seems to be all over the place on the page. I do attempt at times to have a flavor of a deeper ironic meaning but I can't claim to be that clever, therefore, most of what you see here at my blogging hangout is just what it is, nothing more, nothing less. But, enjoy the image because it is now going to be retired from my little library until I find another one, maybe soon. Who knows? Confused yet? Join the crowd. See you next time and may God bless as we seek to include Him in things like making electoral choices. Amen.    ...More later.

No comments: