Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I've saved this one for a long time: What did Adam say on the day before Christmas? It's Christmas, Eve!

Good morning and welcome to Wednesday, January 18, 2012. The other day I had to be on the other side of Houston for the company. I met a fellow there that had an interesting comment when he first saw me. Him and his cohort were chuckling and he told me that with just a little bit of adjustment he thought I could be Santa Claus. We laughed. After we had concluded our business I handed him one of my Santa business cards and I thought he was going to fall out on the ground. I love it when things like that happen. He could hardly wait to get that card back into the office to show it to his co-workers. Maybe I don't have to wait to enjoy the Christmas season. Our pastor and one of our faithful men are on their way to the Philippines to visit the missionaries that we are privileged to support. They will be there to dedicate a new worship facility and to meet and greet all our brothers and sisters there in the Southern islands. I often read about Churches taking groups literally all over the world on short term mission endeavors. I can't help but wonder how many frequent flyer miles the Apostle Paul would have accumulated had he been able to fly to far flung places in order to introduce the Gospel to men, women, boys, and girls. He would have likely had one of those platinum cards with five stars. Of course he labored with the tools he had available to him in his day. And, we should use those that God has made available to us! Amen.

We all have our challenges. A fellow told me the other day that things were so tough for him right now he could fully appreciate the words of the Apostle John writing in The Revelation when he responded to our Lord's promise, “Surely I am coming quickly.” Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus! (The Revelation, Chapter 22, Verse 20.) What was that fellow saying? Come and get me Lord and get me out of this mess of troubles I'm having to deal with. I know exactly how he was feeling. We all do. But I reminded him of the reason why God has not yet sent His Son to catch us up into His very presence. It is because there are still men, women, boys, and girls that need to become His very own by trusting in His Son. How do we know this? It's exactly what the Apostle Peter said in his 2nd letter, "The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance." (2nd Peter 3:9) But I well can appreciate this desire to be rid of the troubles and trials that at times seem to dog our steps. The good news? God knows all about it and He will never leave us nor forsake us. (Hebrews 13:5) There is a song that says His grace is enough. Let me say this about that. I stand in need of a whole bunch of it every single day! Thankfully, He has plenty to share. Amen.

My wife got a kick out of the little cartoon showing the two monks. One was instructing the other how that fasting had nothing to do with fast foods. She said she thought she would vote with the one holding the bag from the burger joint. My mom really laughed out loud over the fellow who had the hospital gown on that didn't quite fit in the back. That was the one where he said he now understood why they called it the I.C. U. She said she showed it to dad who typically isn't known to laugh easily and he laughed too. That's good. I enjoy hearing that something I've shared brings a smile. Given the daily stresses that come pretty much to everyone, well, Lord knows we can use a laugh now and then. The technician who drew my blood was a very nice fellow. He did an excellent job and I told him I appreciated it. He then told me that he appreciated me. It looked like we might get into one of those appreciation dueling matches. The lady that checked me in was just bubbling over with friendliness. I began to think I might be stuck in one of those Twilight Zone episodes where everyone acts strange. These people actually seemed to enjoy being at their workstations and in serving the folks who came in. What in the world was wrong with them? You will have to admit, you don't bump into that type of upbeat and friendly environments very often. I really wanted to play along and my distorted thinking almost tired to keep the merry go round going. I thought about saying that I appreciated him appreciating me, but, he might have thought I was making fun, so I restrained myself, at least for this one visit. Next time. Who knows? I do appreciate all of you who read my daily dialogue and even if you leave the page shaking your head, well, that is something. Right? Right. Have a great Wednesday and Lord willing we will do our best to keep the home fires burning. Amen.        .....More later.

No comments: