Thursday, January 12, 2012

I refuse to take a breathalyzer test to determine what coffee I have been drinking!

While I was away from the office I enjoyed that Hawaiian coffee given to me as a gift. When I returned to work there sat the two pound bag of Community staring at me like I had cheated on her or something. Ever since then it seems that I have had trouble getting the strength exactly where I want it to be. I try a little more coffee, or a little less water, a little less coffee and a little more water but I can't seem to get it exactly right. I've begun to think I may have a rebellion on my hands. I think she gets some satisfaction out of seeing me have to add a little water to my cup. But, I've tried to do my best to get along and maybe things will be better now that I've had a few days to reestablish my connection. Silly? It might be to you but I'll have you know that where I come from dealing with coffee is not a matter to take lightly. I actually know a person who says out loud that he doesn't really care what brand it is as long as it is on sale. That's all that matters to him. I nearly put my hands up to my ears when he talks that way. I may be forced to do that same thing someday but I will do my best to hang with the Community for as long as I can. I'm sure my little coffee story is somewhat tiresome to some of those who tune in, therefore, I will seek to move on as we all pursue that which God provides to us on this Thursday, January 12, 2012. This morning I go to see my medical doctor. I do have my notes and I am ready. I do hope he is also ready. Hey. Please don't ask for my doctor's address so you can send him a sympathy card. I'm not that bad of a patient. Well, I'm not too bad of a patient. I'll let you know after the visit whether he has decided to take a sabbatical or not. Just joking. Don't go around telling folks I have trouble with doctors. It's just not true. They might have some trouble with me but that is an entirely different matter.

I have worked hard the last few days to stay away from the political shenanigans that suck quite a bit of air out of our existence, but in reality they typically don't amount to much more than a hill of beans. Sunday afternoon when things were heating up in New Hampshire where the Republican candidates for the nomination for President were begging for votes, folks across the land were tuned in to the latest episode of the Tebow show. That game between the Broncos and Steelers drew 45 million viewers. That's the most for an opening weekend playoff game since 1988. They tell us the Republican race has turned very ugly with negative ads heating up the airwaves. Brother Tim did some heating up of the airwaves both on and off the field on Sunday. No, I am not obsessing over Tim Tebow. It's just too much irony to miss out on the fun of it all. Here you have the worst rated quarterback statistically but he is helping set records each week. Hello? What's not to love? Why do people care? Folks who are believers care because this man is under attack from all sides because of his faith. Others care because who doesn't enjoy seeing a classic underdog story being played out each week. His jersey is the number two in sales for 2011 just behind Aaron Rogers of the Green Bay Packers. His book, "Through My Eyes, a Quarterback's Journey", was the number one selling sports book of 2011. It is true that the rest of Tebow's team have been to a great extent overlooked in all of this. He would be the very first to lament this fact because he knows that football is a team sport, and in particular the Denver defense has been instrumental in much of their success. Meanwhile, here's a fellow who chooses to acknowledge his Creator and Savior and he has somehow captivated the attention of a nation. I pray that his testimony will stay strong and that he will be able to withstand all that is being hurled at him, because you can be sure that our enemy, Satan and all his emissaries, are working tirelessly to bring him down.

I will tell you that things in the medical world are changing. I fully expect my current doctor to walk into the examination room with his laptop ready. My records will be at his fingertips. He can reorder my medications with a keystroke or two. He can order new tests. He can record questions and update my status. And, since we are all only getting our 15 minutes of fame with our doctors since that is all they are allowed to spend, technology can be a way of making the most of that time. I still remember a complete physical examination I had done by my doctor in the mid 1980's. He was in many ways a throwback to old school ways. But, I must tell you that when he mailed me the results I was shocked to read the entire two page letter, written by hand, by my doctor. That was in some ways comforting but also puzzling since we all know the time constraints most doctors are dealing with. However, I feel very comfortable with a doctor using a laptop. But here's the rub. Use a lap top, a Big Chief Tablet, or some audio recording device, the proof is always in the results my friend, not in the tools used. If I can be more well informed and able to interactively participate in my own medical treatment, and in so doing we get results dealing with my diabetes and whatever else happens to be at work, then great. If all of the technology ends up being just that, some gee whiz exercise, then you haven't gained anything. And, thus far, I am mostly pleased but I do feel an obligation to learn how to make the most of this brave new world. This will be one of my major points with my doctor this morning. How can I better interact with the system electronically to achieve the best possible outcomes? When it's your health at stake that would not be the time to adopt a don't ask, don't tell policy. Just saying. I will likely have more to say about all of this at another time. No, it is not a warning. But until then, have a great day and may God bless each one. Amen.    .......More later.

No comments: