Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Drive to end the hunger caused by not winning a race in 66 tries!

It's Tuesday morning, and I bid you welcome on this March 1, 2011 where we have in this area the unusual combination of lower humidity and moderate temperatures. Being close to the Gulf Coast makes this somewhat of a rarity. But, before anyone changes their mind, I'll take it because it's almost, and I did say almost, like Colorado, meaning of course, not one of those days up there when there's an avalanche or all the roads are blocked due to snow, etc., etc. What does this tell us? No matter where you are, there's good, bad, and typically, the everyday get up and get with it, regardless of the pleasantness or lack thereof. You didn't know that's the way it works? Sorry, but that pretty much reflects my experience, but I'm not opposed to wearing rose colored glasses because sometimes we all need a little break from reality. I did enjoy the NASCAR race this past Sunday. Primarily because the driver I follow won, Jeff Gordon. He had gone 66 races without a win and that for a great champion is agony. I had visited my brother and had to listen to the race in my car on satellite radio and the last few laps while on the Church property Sunday evening. I hated for everyone to see The Brother Teacher standing outside his car cheering like a yell leader, but it just had to be done, and I'm sure when I thrust my arms up in the air, some driving up may have wondered if I was in the Spirit, or it was just my normal abnormal self. It's funny because I had just that morning written notes about the 24 Car (Jeff's number) on the cards our Church sends to those ailing, in the military, or dealing with a special need. Several of those are in the category of being "Jeff haters" (not hate hate) and I like to tease them because they follow other drivers. They have the attitude that says if my driver doesn't win, then anyone except Jeff Gordon. That's why we love to tease forth and back. But, because of the race outcome, I went into the service Sunday evening feeling a little better. I can see some of you scratching your head and saying, "What in the world is he talking about?" Some have noted that I stayed with Jeff so long he is now racing for the AARP, but a win is a win, and we will take it. (AARP's sponsorship is based on a campaign called Drive to End Hunger, therefore, the title is a play off this theme, just so you know.)

We will take it. We will take it? That's kind of funny but that is how it works when we, vicariously, win or lose with our team. I'm not knocking it because as you can see, I'm right smack in the middle of it. However, it's always interesting to see how folks' morale is lifted when their team wins. They may not have one player on that team from their city or area but when they win the big one, everyone celebrates like the entire team are hometown folks. Often the parades and the huge celebrations give way to half of the team leaving after their contracts are up or they trade up for a better deal, but, in the heat of the battle, with all the hype and emotion, it can be a huge rush when your guy wins, and I will admit being a little emotional when Jeff won on Sunday. Winning a race, any race, in today's super competitive environment in motor sports is phenomenally difficult. I like to think about it as a distraction where you can focus on something else for a little while and not be so much inundated with today's issues. I'm not one of those who will watch every lap of every race but if I am available and it is on, I will pay a fair amount of attention to it. I know some people who scoff at the idea that race car drivers are athletes and that it should even be called a sport. That's okay with me because usually folks who say things like that are pretty much unaware of what is required to race at the highest level, and the kind of team effort required to be successful. And, that's why you can stay up late at night and watch the international domino championships if you like, and I can blubber on and on about the one I follow. We have many choices and the freedom that comes with it, and that, my friend, is what makes the world go around.

Well, actually, I'm sure there's a much more concrete, scientific reason for the rotation of the earth but I'm sure you get my drift. Speaking of today's issues, did you ever see so much turmoil going on at one time? Many are perplexed by all the upheaval and how it is impacting all of us, each and every day, just look at the price at the pump. I've decided to fill up more often. That way $25 to $30 looks better than a fill-up at $45 to $50. Silly? Maybe, but I can use all the help I can get. The speculations about the Middle East are all over the page. My wife has said more than a few times lately about how some of what she is hearing and seeing on the news sounds like her dad's comments from The Scriptures he preached from so many years ago. Here is something for those who are believers to think about. World history portrays events from a secular viewpoint. Take for instance some of the world powers that came on the scene and conquered nations and huge amounts of real estate. Secular history gives all kinds of rationales and reasons for why these things happened. However, in God's Word we find those very nations mentioned and God's reporting in great detail concerning why they were allowed to become a world power. See what I mean? The historians are making notes. They see the turmoil. We see the turmoil. They see the difficulties and hardships. We see the difficulties and hardships. But, those who have their trust in the Lord their God can be assured that all of these things are working to accomplish His plan and purpose. Just like those from the past. We have His Word on it! And, without trying to sound trite, that's good enough for me! Amen.          ......More later.

No comments: