Thursday, March 24, 2011

Maybe we could change Senior Moment to Odyssey Dawn Moment.

Yes. We made it to Thursday, March 24, 2011, and it is good to be able to rise and shine on this day that the Lord has made. I'm not so sure how much shine I have for today's episode but we will make an attempt at pasting something on the page. I heard one of the Pentagon spokespersons say that the Libya engagement was called Odyssey Dawn after this name was chosen randomly from a list of fifty words. Hello? It is kind of strange because the word odyssey, associated with Homer's famous poem, typically reflects a long wandering and eventful journey. I also think they did the first bombing in the evening, not at dawn. Maybe someone was having an off day when they chose the fifty words, or perhaps they are trying to be closer to reality since many of these supposedly short engagements have, in the past, turned out to wander on and on and on. Someone jokingly said they chose this name because the other choice was Enduring Instability. That instability word pretty much sums up the Middle East ever since there has been a Middle East. One interesting thing to me was how the mainstream media have fallen all over themselves promoting this coming together of nations to deal with this tyrant in Libya. Their spin is how that only President Obama could have made this happen. Not so fast. This so called happy coalition has more holes in it than Swiss cheese and even Defense Secretary Gates has said that we are making it up as we go. That statement no doubt causes concern for the families of our brave men and women who are doing their best to follow this 'make it up as we go' mission. (I used the Swiss comment with no pun intended since they are neutral and do not fight, but maybe they provided chocolates or something.)

I put my little blurb about my wife as Mrs. Claus up on Facebook as well as having it in my blog and it generated some interesting responses. Several did the laugh out loud symbol and one lady told me they had an extra room in their home should I need it. You may remember that I threatened to consider a demotion to an elf if Mrs. Claus claimed too much of the center stage. That caused me to come up with this little mock-up of her in an elf outfit for a follow up on my Facebook page. We have a good time with stuff like this. Many think that after forty six years we are to a certain extent kind of like a long running comedy routine. By the way, it is a collective dialogue. My wife has so many fierce friends and defenders, they pretty much come out of the woodwork anytime I try to make a funny. Therefore, it is intended to be the source of a smile and it does reflect many times the ongoing quirks that are a part of any healthy marriage. Lest anyone, ever, under any circumstances think that it is critical or demeaning in any way whatsoever, that would be completely 100% off base. Sure, I know folks who could never joke between themselves and I think that to be pretty sad. The bottom line is how we live out our roles and responsibilities. She has hers, I have mine. Action is always the measurement and she is the one who knows whether I am devoted to loving her in the same way that Christ loved the Church and gave Himself up for the Church. (Ephesians 5:25) Having said all of that, she may want to keep a copy of the elf mock-up just as a reminder.

A fourteen year old boy out in Salt Lake reported to the police that he had been grazed by a bullet, tearing his pants. It turned out that he made up the story to keep from having to face his mom because of ripping his new pants. Many have condemned him for wasting police time but I can identify with his dilemma. There were six of us when I was growing up and my mom was a perfectionist when it came to dressing us. She believed that how we looked was a direct reflection on her. The thought of us kids wearing crumpled up jeans or shirts would have sent her into orbit. We also were not well off and buying new anything was not always the first choice. My mom would have been none too pleased if we messed up a good pair of jeans. I also remember my dear wife as she struggled to keep our three boys looking nice every day. She would buy the double kneed jeans and could be nearly moved to tears when they ripped them above or below the knee. I say this to say that I understand his situation. I certainly do not condone lying and calling the police to report a shooting was over the top by any standard. Sometimes we all do silly things and that fear factor does play in there somewhere. I suppose we can all pause to thank God for wrinkle free and stronger materials. Have a great Thursday and Lord willing, I'll be here again at the old keyboard, coming up with something. May God bless us all. Amen.                 ......More later.

No comments: