Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bob Hope was nearly right. It should be: "Thank God for the memories!"

Good Tuesday morning and welcome once again to another version of my view of all things that I have chosen to report on this March 22, 2011. A couple of weeks ago when I was visiting with my brother I shared with him how much he loved to fish when he was a young boy. He gave some acknowledgment as if he may have remembered those days so long ago. Last Thursday when I visited him in the hospital where he was not doing well at all, I asked him what he would do if he could be doing right now anything he wanted to. He replied: "Fishing." God gave us the ability to remember and for me, it serves me well because I do have so many fond memories from my childhood. Folks know about my dad passing away and the many other tragedies in our family and they wonder how anyone could remember anything good about their growing up days. But, my brother learned to fish and he loved to fish and today with what little of his memory connections that are working, he can grasp a fleeting glimpse of that enjoyable walk down memory lane. I know the critics tell us that Mayberry does not exist anywhere at anytime. But, I am blessed to have had some Mayberry like experiences as I made my way in that small, rural environment. The good memories do not change the sad times we shared that are still fresh today but those happy times balance it all out, and, I am so thankful to God that me telling my brother about all those days when he couldn't wait to get home to get his gear and head to the creek, and to see those fleeting images relived on his face, well, that, my friend, may not be much, but to me, it's a blessing, and I will just have to thank God for it.

My wife didn't feel too well on Lord's Day Sunday, therefore, she wasn't able to attend services at our local meeting place. At the end of my Bible study I mentioned to the class that maybe after worship services were over I would go home and check on her and fix her some homemade biscuits to help perk her up. I was joking but several reminded me about the homemade biscuit comment as I was leaving the Church property. When I arrived home I told her that I was going to prepare her a meal and serve her some homemade biscuits. She said she didn't know if she wanted any homemade biscuits. I told her that it really wasn't going to be something she could avoid because the next time those in the class saw her, they were sure to ask about the biscuits. I am still wondering why I said anything at all about biscuits but I say things like that way too often, and it usually always comes back to haunt me. My wife is a top shelf cook. She has been making homemade biscuits by hand since she was old enough to stand on a stool. I've been experimenting for maybe five years. But, I did keep my word. I fixed her some sausage, eggs, and homemade biscuits, along with some homemade jelly, and a glass of ice cold milk. My biscuits were not pretty but she said they tasted great. I am thankful for that but even more thankful that she can testify that I kept my word. Now, a little prayer: "Lord, help me to not mention biscuits again, anytime soon."

Last week we received our first official invitation to appear as Santa and Mrs. Claus. They are asking us to pencil in December 11 for an afternoon four hour photo session. I did the photo shoot last year and afterward I sent a photo of myself and the missus after she received her outfit. They want her to read a story. What's up with that? I thought the fantasy is all about the jolly old elf himself, Santa. How do you like that? I do recall a couple or more times last season that folks asked to take pictures with her and she wasn't even wearing her costume. I sure hope my Santa adventure doesn't end up being hijacked by the womens' movement. I am totally joking. In fact, I am the one who found her outfit and ordered it for her. I think us as a team has great potential. She is a natural and folks warm up to her at first meeting. Who knows? Maybe we have a future in the Santa enterprise. As retirement gets closer and closer, it might just give us something to occupy our time during the Christmas season. If she gets out of hand I might order her an elf costume and have her take care of the reindeer. I do hope this wacky walk through the wacky stuff that spins around in my mind finds you and yours doing well. I suppose I could wish you a Merry Christmas but that may be somewhat premature so I'll hang on to that for a later blog. Have a great day and may God bless. Amen.                 ......More later.

No comments: