Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Everything has its purpose: The shinbone helps you to find furniture in the dark.

Hello and welcome to Wednesday, March 23, 2011. Nearly everyone has some kind of medical issue. Do you know what I mean? If you don't know of any you have right now, I hate to burst your bubble, but it most likely is a coming attraction. I am a reluctant and mildly aggravated diabetic who still wonders from time to time if it really is true. But, the blood tests don't lie and they consistently confirm that I am. I don't like being a diabetic. It's not the kind of life that I asked for. Pricking my fingers and measuring my blood glucose is not something I ever wanted to learn about, much less do on a regular basis. Some people have the same problem I have but they handle it quite differently. Just last week a fellow was in my office telling me how well he has his under control. This man must be at least 125 pounds overweight. He told me his fasted blood measurements and they run on average 20 points higher than mine, which is worse. However, he claims to get really good A1C scores when his doctor tests him for his 60-90 day average. His A1C is actually nearly 10 points lower than mine, (6.4 versus 5.5). Something doesn't add up. I run lower testing averages. I did lose the weight nearly two years ago and this huge guy who eats what he wants to when he wants to, is either totally off base, or I am entirely on the wrong track. This guy is very intelligent, well educated, therefore, I don't know how it could be that his big number as we call it would be better than mine. Stuff like that really causes me to wonder but it is what it is and we all have something we have to deal with, therefore, we might as well buckle up and do our best on the ride we have been given. If I were him and his doctor is telling him he is doing well, I think I would race to get a second opinion.

I remind you that while I don't particularly like being a diabetic, I am not complaining. I visited with a man Sunday who is fighting a problem with his A1C being 9.0 and thus far they have not been able to get it down. I am aware of children with Type 1 and my heart breaks for them as they battle this insidious disease 24 hours a day. Mine was found early and I have been, thus far, able to keep it managed with fairly moderate medication and attention paid to my diet. But we all have challenges and according to the Scriptures, they pretty much are common to all humanity, as they typically are no respecter of persons. My arthritis is a pain, if you know what I mean, but it, according to the doctors, is pretty much the standard amount someone might have at my age. My age. I can remember when my grandfather was my age. He was able to retire but he was still going strong and didn't want to. They wanted him to so they could make room for someone younger. He bowed his back. He could do that when something was important to him. He exercised his option to work on past age 65 until the mandatory retirement age of 70. I respected him greatly and I can remember how I worried about him continuing to work because he seemed to be fairly old. His fairly old is right on top of me today and somehow I look at myself and can't see what I saw when I looked at him. Maybe it's an optical delusion. I know it's illusion but delusion is maybe a better fit. Mirror, mirror on the wall, is that really old guy really me? Just joking. I actually feel pretty well and maybe even better now that I have shared my story with you. I should perhaps change the subject and try to figure out why lately I tend to have more hair on my ears than on my head.

I suppose one of my favorite comedic portrayals of an elderly person is the one Tim Conway used to do on the Carol Burnett Show. I used to be able to do a really good imitation of that stutter step walk he would do across the room. I still can but it's no longer an imitation. Just joking. I am thankful to be able to joke about it. I am trying to get more comfortable with people who want to help me do things. The other day I was ready to help a young fellow pick up something fairly heavy. Just as I was about to lift it I heard a loud voice, "Stop!" Another strong fellow ran over and asked me to let him do the lifting. I could have lifted that box but I appreciate those who do show that type of respect. I say respect because that does seem to be the reason, at least as I understand why they want to help. Many rate this Gene Autry song to be one of the best in talking about an older person. It actually was his very first hit from 1932, entitled, "That Silver-Haired Daddy of Mine." Here are the lyrics: 1) In a vine covered shack in the mountains Bravely fighting the battle of time There's a dear one who's weathered life's sorrows It's that silver haired daddy of mine.2) If I could recall all the heartaches Dear old daddy, Ive caused you to bear If I could erase those lines from your face And bring back the gold top your hair. 3) If God would but grant me the power Just to turn back the pages of time I'd give all I own if I could but atone To that silver haired daddy of mine. 4) I know it's too late, dear old daddy To repay for the sorrows and cares Tho' dear mother is waiting in Heaven Just to comfort and solace you there. Very sentimental but most of us can identify some with the content. I suppose it could help us to remember to remember those who are growing older who have been so influential in our lives. And, maybe to try and become one of those in someone's life today! Amen.                         ......More later.

No comments: