Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Today's menu: This, that, and a little of the other too.

Yes friends and neighbors, I am still here, broadcasting live and in person, on this Tuesday, March 8, 2011. I heard a fellow talking about someone appearing live and in person and he said that sounded odd to him. I guess that would be as opposed to what, although, here in our area there are literally thousands upon thousands paying big dollars to go to the big rodeo to see a country singer and maybe only be able to tell what's going on by watching the huge TV screens. Must be the experience because that just doesn't sound that exciting to me. Perhaps it is being able to say I was there. Maybe I have passed that phase in my life or could it be that I missed that phase? Okay. I was given some tickets and I do remember going back in the early 1980's to see Charlie Pride on a Sunday afternoon, and here's what I remember. Travel into the downtown metro-mess, find a parking spot at least 1/4 to 1/2 mile away for which you pay a king's ransom, and you are even supposed to feel good because you found one, then walk to the arena, find your place up in the nosebleed section, and sit and enjoy your 90 minutes of entertainment. After it's over, then repeat the same steps in reverse. Let me just say there is absolutely nothing about any of that which appeals to me. But, don't you do something very much like that when you attend one of the Gaither Gospel concerts? Now you have started meddling and while there may be some slight similarities, it would be profoundly different, and if given enough time, I might even be able to give you a couple of reasons why. I can tell you that one of them would not be the difference in ticket prices.

It comes down to what we like. If we want to do something then the trouble associated with doing it falls into the category of it being worth it. It's just that the threshold for it being worth it becomes more and more difficult to justify as we get older. Maybe our get up and go takes more encouragement to get it to get up and get going, or something like that. Speaking of the cost of things, the other day while we were driving down the road my fourteen year old grandson asked me an interesting question, "Poppy, what do you think the price of gasoline will be twenty years from now?" I replied, "Twenty years is quite a ways out, your Poppy may not even be around then." He then said, "Oh, I think you'll be around." "I told him, "Thanks for the vote of confidence, but that is in God's hands, but one would hope that in twenty years we will have perfected some of the alternatives and maybe something like the electric or hybrid vehicles will make the cost of gasoline less of a factor than it is today." I couldn't help but wonder where that question came from. It tells me that he's actually picking up more than just the computer video games he plays. Maybe they are talking about it in his school. Or, maybe he has heard people exchanging comments about the recent price hikes. I tried to remember what I was thinking about when I was fourteen because whatever it might have been, I'm quite certain it had nothing to do with the price of gasoline.

They tell us that we currently are in what is called a slow news cycle. Sure, there are plenty of hot spots around the world, especially in the Middle East, but here at home, there are no huge stories dominating the news. That's pretty tough when we have organized life around a second by second reporting of headlines, 24 hours a day. These news outlets have to put something out on the airwaves and often we end up with some pretty weird stuff. Here's a recent sampling of story headlines being reported: Man speeds with wife on hood of minivan; Judge lends man tie for trial; New camera prettifies subjects, even adds "makeup"; Inmate suing for $500,000 after falling when chased by a cow; Parasailing stunt donkey dies from heart attack. And, the list could go on and on. One thing is certain. The daily news goes on for you and I, and for every person breathing air here on the planet. Each of us have our own daily issues to deal with and they often come up without warning. Just because it may be a quiet time at the White House, that doesn't mean it is for folks from sea to shining sea. It doesn't have to make a headline for it to be a crisis in the life of our neighbor, friend, or even within our family. Let's remember to tune in to the news that matters and especially where we can respond and make a difference. That will sure beat waiting for something big to happen that captivates the attention of the entire nation. I will admit today's material tends to be a little discombobulated but some days are like that. Know what I mean Vern? Until next time, may God bless.   Amen.                  .....More later.

No comments: