Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"It's me, it's me, it's me, oh Lord, standing in the need of prayer."

You thought maybe I was going to end up one morning with nothing to say, didn't you? I actually can see that happening, but not today. It reminds me of the running joke I had with my beloved Granny Mac. She was super cold natured and she always told me that she looked forward to the day when I would know how it felt to be cold. I would always tell her that while it was a possibility, my response would be, as of that particular time, "not yet, and not today!" Even that cold thing may be creeping up on me but I've had so much to say about it over the years, when it does begin to cause me issues, I've pretty much given up any and all rights to mention it. I hate it when it goes like that. But, how in the world are you doing anyway on this Wednesday, March 30, 2011? We do seem to have a lot on our plate right now but best I can tell, when I look around, it seems like most everyone is pretty loaded up. One of the most humbling things for me is to have those who show concern for me, for those who consistently pray for me, and encourage me in the race God has given me to run. That may not sound like a big deal but let me assure you that as best I can tell, according to The Scriptures, that interceeding and building up of each other is a primary purpose associated with God's people, His called out assembly, what we call today, a local New Testament Church. Not a building, not property, not programs, but people, living in the reality of making it in this world, and exercising God's provision for us to lift up one another as we recognize that we are needy folks, or as one of my mentors used to say, we are all fellow strugglers in need of God and each other. Amen.

Some days I have something to write about. On other days I don't have something specific on my mind but I just more or less let it happen on the page. When I do it that way I can be surprised by what I read just like you. I have told you more than once that being me is not easy and I really wouldn't wish it on anyone. But I suppose it can be exciting at times and it does tend to keep me out of trouble.That would depend on the way you define trouble. I really never know how many different folks read what I have written each day. I shared with you some of the stats that indicate there are a number of folks that land on my blog for one reason or another. I also get some comments occasionally from someone I don't know who found something in what I wrote about that caused them to respond. While I never intend to be mean spirited in my writing, my illustrations, or stories that I tell, I also am aware that often it can be interpreted in different ways depending on the person reading it. I am always ready to apologize for anything I have said that might hurt someone's feelings. As for my frequent use of The Scriptures, I really cannot apologize if someone is offended by them, because they are breathed out (meaning of the word inspiration) by God the Holy Spirit, therefore, it is what God has to say and if that causes someone to be uneasy, I say welcome to the club. That uneasiness we feel may be an opportunity for us to respond to whatever God is saying because He does still speak. To me, to you, and to the entire world as His word goes forth. Amen.

My brother has been admitted to a skilled nursing facility so that he can undergo another round of therapies intended to help his mental and physical functions. He has just gotten started but thus far he is responding well to this new opportunity to help him. On behalf of my mom and our entire family, we sincerely thank all of you who lift him and us up in prayer. When all this began last August none of us knew what would be involved in seeing him through the variety of life threatening challenges he has faced. But God has been with us and through His provision, which includes the prayers of His people, Donald is still here, and we are able to thank Him and you all for participating with us in this great challenge. We don't know the outcome just like we didn't know the event before it happened, but what we do know is that God is there, and He cares, and He has ministered to us all throughout this process. We seek His will and Donald's best as each day unfolds before us. I know there are many people who think they can go it alone when it comes to handling life's crises. Not us, and not me. We have a lifetime of experience that tells us we stand in need of God's grace and mercy every minute of every day. Therefore, I again thank one and all for the prayers and I close today with the words to that old song I've used before because it does reflect the truth as we see it. "1) I need the prayers of those I love, While trav’ling o’er life’s rugged way, That I may true and faithful be, And live for Jesus every day. 2) I need the prayers of those I love, To help me in each trying hour, To bear my tempted soul to Him, That He may keep me by His pow’r. 3) I want my friends to pray for me, To hold me up on wings of faith,That I may walk the narrow way, Kept by our Father’s glorious grace." After each verse this refrain is sung: "I want my friends to pray for me, To bear my tempted soul aboveAnd intercede with God for me; I need the prayers of those I love." Have a blessed day. Amen.            .......More later.

No comments: