Friday, February 20, 2009

Making a difference can happen anywhere at anytime!

Thanks for tuning in to your daily fix of this fellow’s fractured view of the world. It’s a cool, crisp morning on this Friday, February 20, 2009 and you can almost hear the stars humming, or was it my corduroy slacks that always seem to make that whistling noise? It’s bad enough to hear that as you walk in the dark and wonder if someone is following you. It is even worse to think they are not only following you but they are also whistling. I’ve never tried to say that being me is easy. Today I want to talk about a wonderful subject that I am certain will be uplifting and encouraging. I want to talk about death. That’s right. Death. In particular I want to talk some about the many obituaries I scan through each day.

It’s quite amazing how a person’s life can be summarized in just a handful of words. However, there are many exceptions where you might find a really long death notice. Many of these reflect the passing of a very prominent individual who was involved in notable clubs, society circles, or business endeavors. However, there are some that are fairly long because the person was a local somebody to the folks in their own little world, their sphere of influence. They were a hometown guy or gal who gave their life to the work they did, to their families, to the betterment of their community, and the helping of others along the way. They are not those who would ever expect to be listed in “Who’s Who?” but they lived out their life with distinction because they cared enough to do their best to make a difference.

I heard a particular account about a gentleman in a small town who taught a junior boy’s Sunday school class for fifty years. At his home going service they had standing room only because the Church overflowed with the boys who were now men, some very much older men, who had been influenced by this man’s passion for helping boys find the Savior and helping them to make something of their lives. He would never have been thought of as anyone who did anything great in his life by the media or in our celebrity saturated culture. However, he was beloved by ‘his boys’ and more importantly he made the Hall of Fame where it really counts, the one that God enrolls folks in. I don’t read every obituary but I do read several each day. I often shed a tear over the loss of a child or young person. I am also impressed by those whose write-ups take up so much space as they are recognized for their many achievements in life. Yet, it’s those of the common person who peers out from a photo and you can almost hear them say, “I fought a good fight, I finished my course, and now I am receiving my heavenly reward.” I’ll take that kind of remembrance above any of the rest, how about you? Some food for thought as you enjoy your Saturday and Lord’s Day Sunday. Until next time, may the Good Lord bless and keep one and all! Amen. ….More later.

No comments: