Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Answers to questions that really do matter.

It's Tuesday, February 24, 2009 and I am still reeling somewhat from the big things we talked about yesterday. If you recall I introduced my blog by talking about the greatest of all why questions. It had to do with why God chose to act in creating all that exists. He did what He did intentionally and we know He had you and I in mind whenever He did what He did along with every other person who would ever populate the earth. My sense is that it’s all about Him gaining honor and glory and praise as His creation functions to find Him as the meaning and purpose of life itself. He deserves the honor and glory and praise before, during, and after His created acts, but in some ways we, as the crowning achievement of His creation, are able to respond to Him, embrace Him, and in doing so there’s deserved praise that accrues to His name that would not otherwise transpire. President Obama said the question of protecting the unborn was way above his pay grade which I believe was a huge cop out since God values all life made in His image. However, understanding the why behind God’s creation acts and all that has transpired since is above all our pay grades but He does allow us to know Him, love Him, and serve Him, and that will do until we can see Him face to face. Amen.

The answers to questions about important things do matter. I was trying to explain the problem with germs on fingers getting into the mouth to my grandson Alex. He didn’t like me telling him that it was a bad habit to put his fingers into his mouth, therefore, his response was to ask me not to talk about germs on his fingers. After all, germs, from his viewpoint, exist in the toilet and can be eliminated by flushing. When I persisted, he held his fingers to his lips to shush me. He then told me not to talk about that anymore. His simple idea was that if you don’t mention it, it’s not a problem. While we may laugh at this cute childlike behavior, how often do we find ourselves avoiding answers in much the same way? I will be the first to admit there’s been plenty of times where I have found myself trying to divert attention from answers to questions that I knew would be tough to deal with. Oh by the way, not asking for, seeking, or finding an answer typically will not change the facts involved and often a situation becomes worse as we hide our heads in the sand.

It reminds us of that first question we hear God asking in the garden: “Adam where are you?” God knew exactly where Adam was. Adam knew where Adam was. But Adam needed to come to terms with not only that question as it related to dealing specifically with where He ended up having disobeyed the God who created him, but more importantly to appreciate the impact and results found in the answer. Our pastor talked about how that folks don’t come to Church services anymore to hear hard questions being asked about them personally and their lives. They don’t want to be asked if they are on their way to heaven or hell. They don’t want to be asked if they are living in obedience to God or in disobedience. They want to be made to feel good and encouraged and filled up with happy talk but God knew exactly what Adam needed to hear and He knows that dealing directly with the critical questions He puts forth is what changes us from who we are to who He wants us to be. I suppose I should end with this rejoinder: Is that your final answer? This gives us something to think about as we all try to make it through the day. Amen. ….More later.

No comments: