Thursday, February 26, 2009

In retrospect, there are many reasons to explain why I am not 'with it'.

Yesterday I pretty much spilled the beans on just how out of touch I am with the so-called modern world. Today, on this Thursday, February 26, 2009 I want to think some out loud about the reasons for this out of sync condition. First, and what should always be foremost, I am a believer who, when I am thinking right, cares deeply about what God thinks about things. This in and of itself is the most critical factor in how my view gets all fuzzy when compared to the rank and file in our culture. Secondly, it would have to be a generational deal since I am a boomer, albeit, a busted boomer born in 1946. This can be seen in a repeat of history. My grandfather was totally disconnected from his version of modern times having come through two world wars and the depression. Thirdly, what happened to me in my life growing up shapes my worldview and will forever influence how I see things. Lastly, we have to throw into the mix the personal preference, likes and dislikes factor that comes about because each person is unique and what appeals to one will have little or no appeal to someone else.

Having said all of that, I want to share some interesting recollections from the past that no doubt play a role in where I am coming from today. Television was being experimented with on a limited basis when I was born. There was no such thing as a personal computer, a Xerox machine, or portable telephone. There were no video games and most of our fun times occurred outside in the yard or on the front porch. We grew up eating everything homemade because that’s all there was. No fast food restaurants. No frozen dinners. Everything was made from scratch. When television came along we were exposed to programming that always portrayed the bad guy as being bad and the good guy as winning. This may not have been reality but it was how it worked when we watched Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, or the Three Stooges.

When we played we were not aware of any sort of political correctness. We most often played cowboy and Indians or cops and robbers and did so until we were almost too tired for a bath before bedtime. When it came time for clothes there were essentially two types, sneakers for boys and sneakers for girls, slacks or jeans for boys and dresses for girls. There were no boutiques for preteens or specialty stores for children. Most of our clothes came from the Sears catalog. Yeah it was different then. Cars pulled into service stations and received service like having an attendant fill your car, while another cleaned your windshield, and checked your oil and tire pressure. (I know this well since I was one of those attendants as a teenager!) The influence of this different world and I could go on with so much more no doubt helped me become who I am today. I’ve lived long enough to see the early stages of a disconnect developing between my eldest son and his youngsters as they embrace a world different from the one he experienced. Part of this is no doubt normal but remember I started out my blog listing God and His revealed views as that which should be most influential in how we view our world. This influence is seriously being eroded today and it’s the only one that provides a bridge across all age groups. Without this influence we truly have the bridge that leads to nowhere. Thanks for putting up with a fellow who used to think catching lightning bugs and putting them in a jar was a pretty good night of fun. May God bless. Amen. ….More later.

No comments: