Tuesday, September 29, 2020

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America." - Bill Clinton, President of the United States, (Considered to be one of the best debaters beginning in high school)

Good morning. It's Tuesday, September 29, 2020, Presidential Candidate Debate day, and I bid each one a warm and hearty welcome. That's right. We will have the first debate between President Trump and former Vice President Biden this evening. Some believe it will set all-time records for viewers. I don't know exactly why, but, I'm not that much excited about the prospects. It appears the Republican talking points is to continue to paint Biden as the candidate in hiding since he doesn't make many public appearances. The Democrats continue to lambast the President on his handling of the COVID pandemic along with the hit taken by the economy. The rank and file on both sides are looking to the debate to help solidify their thinking. Some want Biden to fall apart and have a lot of gaffes. It does appear a lot of this has been media programmed to set the bar as low as possible for Biden. That means if he holds his own at all he will be declared the outright winner. On the other side, they hope for the President to dodge and duck specific answers to important questions along with some falsehoods along with the way. President Trump has typically been good on the debate stage, but, he does tend to come across as mean spirited at times. Biden's people would love to see the President come across as petty and snarky. I'm not sure whether this debate will change any votes or not, but, it could show something about Biden's fitness to serve. President Trump pretty much is what you see is what you get and most people already know that. I'm sure it will be 'must-see' for all the political junkies out there.



I had Mr. Bentley outside this morning at 4:45 a.m., and it was 57 degrees. It was nice. I did feel the lower temp on my arms. Supposedly, it will be in the lower 50's in the morning. That should give us all something to look forward to. Growing up, we typically did not leave heaters on overnight, and, we only had them in certain rooms of the house. When we first moved to the little town in Louisiana, we lived with my mom's parents. All of us boys slept in the same room. No heat. Linoleum floor rugs. I can remember how the windows would be frozen shut and we all were under a heavy load of quilts. When your toes hit that linoleum, it was so cold they seemed to have stuck. If you actually caught your toe on one of the frayed edges, well, I suppose that's where kids begin to begin learning bad words. One reason we didn't think much about it was because we didn't have any alternatives. I always got up when I was called. My younger brother, Donald, would stay in bed until they dragged him out. Once we were all up we would elbow and jostle each other to try and scald our backsides up against the one space heater going in the living room. I suppose that's when I started learning how to live with the cold. However, the time and my age have taken their toll and even this morning the thought crossed my mind of how a sleeve might feel good. How sad. Next thing you know, I will be shivering at the drop of the hat.


The house we own was built in 1971. We purchased it in 1984. Our driveway has been in need of repair for some time now. I recently got a bid to see how much it would cost to replace it. It was a huge number. That motivated me to look at alternatives. Yesterday, the wife, our middle son Jimmy, and yours truly became driveway repair technicians. I mixed up 300 pounds of concrete and the wife and Jimmy smoothed it out. It still needs to be replaced but as I told the work crew, it will be better than it was until we decide to do something else. We didn't know that Mr. Bentley had slipped out of the house and had shown up to supervise the project. The next order of business is to have our roof replaced. That's coming up in the next few weeks. In the words of that famous commentator, Rosanna Rosanna Danna, "It just goes to show, if it's not one thing it's another!" Please don't ask me if we had a clue as to exactly what we were doing. We more or less made it up as we went. It may be cured in time for Thanksgiving. Joking only. Have a great rest of the day and may God be with us all. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: