Thursday, September 17, 2020

Book of Job, Chapter 42, Verses 7-10 "After the Lord had said these things to Job, he said to Eliphaz the Temanite, 'I am angry with you and your two friends, because you have not spoken the truth about me, as my servant Job has. So now take seven bulls and seven rams and go to my servant Job and sacrifice a burnt offering for yourselves. My servant Job will pray for you, and I will accept his prayer and not deal with you according to your folly. You have not spoken the truth about me, as my servant Job has.' So Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite did what the Lord told them; and the Lord accepted Job’s prayer. After Job had prayed for his friends, the Lord restored his fortunes and gave him twice as much as he had before."

Hello and welcome to our fireside chat, without the fire, the sweater, and with no promises on the chat. It is a privilege to be writing this today, Thursday, September 17, 2020. I say that because it means I must be up and about once again as provided by the Lord God of heaven. That is the truth as given clearly by Elihu, the younger in the group who came on the scene late, in his response to Job and his three miserable friends. Job 34:14-15, "If He were to set His heart to it and withdraw His Spirit and breath, all flesh would perish together and mankind would return to the dust." (As rendered in the Berean Study Bible) That is what is meant when one says every heartbeat belongs to God. With that acknowledgment, we continue. In passing, may I tell you the Book of Job often does get a lot of resistance because many believe it is too depressing and sad. While Brother Job does deal with deep sadness and he was obviously depressed, the Book itself gives tremendous insight into the Sovereign majesty of our God and His plans and purposes that go beyond our understanding. That is, unless He chooses to reveal them to us. The Book also gives insight into how folks know a lot of spiritual things, but, as shown by the so-called friends of Job, they are not always accurate in their understanding of the truth. The triumph of God and Job's response of worship of Him is inspirational and an encouragement to all of us who are fellow strugglers making our journey through life. Amen.


I'm not sure when I read the Book of Job it is a friendly wake up call from the front desk, or, a slap in the face along with some ice-cold water. I think it typically is the latter for me, myself, and I. What say you? I've always been intrigued by the way God had revealed Himself even back in the earliest of times. If Job was as ancient as it appears to be, the insights and understanding of God at that time is amazing, and, even the misappropriated thoughts of his three friends show a remarkable depth in terms of spiritual realities. Job had much to say at different times but he was clear concerning his relationship with his Redeemer. Here are some profound words from the mouth of Job as recorded in Chapter 19, Verses 25-27, "I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand on the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed,   yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes—I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!" That always just knocks me down. How could Job have had that kind of appreciation and confidence in his certain future? It came from God Himself. We have the same truth and as believers, we have the same destiny as Brother Job. Amen


Why is this so astounding to me? Think about it. God, Creator God, chooses to love and care for His created human family to the extent that He reveals Himself and calls Job to have a relationship with Him. Today, you and I have the completed revelation of God as given in His Holy Word. We have a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. We have the promises of God. We have the hope of our eternal destination in the presence of the Lord. When Adam fell, it was God who took the initiative to come to Adam and to seek him out. (Genesis Chapter 3) I promise you I did not start out today's visit with Job in mind or in trying to turn it into a theological Thursday. God has made truth much more accessible than one might think. Dr. J. Vernon MaGee used to say he wanted to put the cookies (truths from God's Word), on the lowest shelf where even the little kids can reach them. That, my friend, is what God did for us, for me, for you. Job went through a lot of suffering and ended up having his desired one on one meeting with Almighty God. As a result, his response is instructive for us all.


From Chapter 42: 1) Then Job answered the Lord and said:

2) “I know that You can do everything,

And that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You.

3) You asked, ‘Who is this who hides counsel without knowledge?’

Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,

Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.

4) Listen, please, and let me speak;

You said, ‘I will question you, and you shall answer Me.’

5) “I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear,

But now my eye sees You.

6) Therefore I abhor myself,

And repent in dust and ashes.”

Amen. .....More later.

No comments: