Tuesday, September 15, 2020

“It does not take much to make us realize what fools we are, but the little it takes is long in coming.” ― Flannery O'Connor

Good morning and welcome to Tuesday, September 15, 2020. I find myself sitting here, a little past 4:30 a.m., and except for the perfunctory greeting, I am dealing today with staring at the proverbial blank page. I know it is called writer's block or some other type of lapse, but, as they say in our culture today, it is what it is, therefore, it too becomes a part of the fabric of life. And, I hasten to add, it must be dealt with and overcome or I will again be sharing some stale stuff from one of my previous visits. I did look at a list of 365 story ideas to see if anything might spark some interest. They were about as lame as they come. "The parents miss Christmas by one day and must try and fool the children into thinking they didn't." I don't think so. But, that's okay. I've learned to wait and to keep at it. Wait and keep at it. Maybe something will come to me while I am talking about not having anything. One of the things I have had for most of my life has been a prodigious ability to remember things. I have no idea if it was a gift or not, but, I do know it has served me well, especially in all my public working years. I have news for you. I still have a fairly decent memory but having said goodbye to age 74, I can testify to the fact that is is not as active and definitely not as quick as it once was. I think the information is still there. It's the access mechanisms that have slowed due to being tired and worn. But, we keep at it and hope for the best as I try not to allow it to keep me from coming up with something.


The wife has told me several times it may be good to reduce the number of blogs I write each week. You know. Maybe Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Thus far, the challenge to produce one each day has caused me to try and stay with the 5 day schedule. Maybe the doing of it helps keep what's left of my thinking cap working. That's what they used to call it, thinking cap. Or, as Paw Paw Mac used to say, "Son, use your head for something other than a hat rack." I've heard it said that it's okay to talk to yourself but when you begin to answer yourself or to ask yourself to repeat what you said, well, it might be time to go to Plan B. Folks who have trouble remembering things understand this plight all too well. I know the number one concern for older folks with memory issues is for them to remember to take their medications. There are all kinds of tools and helps to deal with this issue. I'm thankful that's not one I have to deal with. Yet. Rather than throw up our hands and throw in the towel, there are things we can do. When asked something I should know but the answer is just not forthcoming, I do what any self respecting forgetter does, I Google it. I don't always find what I am looking for but I do find the action of searching for it might just give me enough clues to remember the answer. It does help. It really does. Instead of feeling good about knowing all the answers, now you can feel good about knowing how to find the answers.



Okay. It's been one of those really slow news days here at the old blogger ranch. And, as always, I remind us of the most important thing to know and remember: As it is written in the prophet Jeremiah (9:23-24): "Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, let not the mighty man glory in his might, nor let the rich man glory in his riches; but let him who glories glory in this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth. For in these I delight,' says the Lord." Having a great memory but never knowing the Lord God of heaven is really no true knowledge at all. That would be the greatest tradgedy of all. How can people made in the image of God but separated from Him due to sin come into a right relationship with Him? Jesus, as recorded in the Gospel of John, Chapter 3, put it this way: "16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. 18 He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." Take care and may God add His blessings. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: