Friday, May 29, 2020

“Tax reform is when you take the taxes off things that have been taxed in the past and put taxes on things that haven’t been taxed before.” –Art Buchwald


There's at least some satisfaction in knowing it is done, period. I'm talking about paying our 2019 tax bill. It is Friday, May 29, 2020, and, for the record, I am well aware that I could have waited until July 15. I know everyone feels like they are picked on when it comes to taxes. I just received our 2020 county valuation for our residential taxes. Same old story. Didn't increase the rate. They are so proud of themselves. However, they did increase the valuation, duh, the total amount of taxation went up. I can hear Gomer loud and clear, "Surprise! Surprise!". Back to the federal return, it was 13 pages. That's right. For two old people. Thirteen pages. We run such a big business, The Santa Claus Enterprise. Here we are nearing the 3/4ths of a century mark and we are still paying self-employment taxes along with medicare and what they see as windfall income. Sorry. But, death and taxes may be a certainty, complaining about the tax part of it is a part of our historical heritage. You might recall: "Taxation without representation!" The wife encouraged me not to wait. Take care of our obligation and move on. Think about it. If I were to wait until July, I would be looking at the next tax cycle within a few months. Oh well, we go on record once again in saying how thankful we are to be able to pay our taxes, and as many point out time and time again, we are also thankful to have the means that necessitates the additional taxes. As you can tell, being thankful does not nullify my right to complain. I'll leave it at this. Why can't old people get a break?

Flashback from May 29, 2008: Servant's Heart ~ Last night at our Wednesday evening Onward Christian Seniors class, I was reminded about how we older folks have many in and around us and many near and dear to us who are in need of God's touch. Perhaps it is because of our age that we see things through a different lens or some of it is because many of those near to us are older and they are dealing with related challenges. My wife played the piano and we sang some wonderful songs that helped lift our hearts and our voices towards our Great God. Seeing her up there playing reminded me how she used to play the piano when we were teenagers. She's played in regular Church services, she's played for hundreds of children's programs, she taught beginners for years, and there she was, still using her talent for the Lord. She would be the first to say it's not that much of a talent but look how she has used it for over forty-five years! She didn't hit every note correctly but she did exactly what God is pleased with, she was willing and she gave her best. He is always well pleased whenever His very own recognize Him as their Father through their willing heart to give service as a way of demonstrating their love. Last Sunday we heard from a lay minister in our Church who spoke on the subject of being a servant. He commented on how we don't become a servant by serving, we should have a servant's heart that leads us to serve. Many can do servant like things. But God always reads our thoughts and our motives. Yes, I tell people to keep on keeping on in serving even when their heart is not in it because I know they have the potential to get back on track with God much sooner than if they throw in the towel. However, our speaker made a good point. How much more pleasing to God and honoring to Him whenever we lead with our heart that then directs our hands! ~

I apologize for the outburst of angst in the first paragraph. I do know if everyone got the breaks they think they deserve, well, we would likely have a major revenue crisis. As if we don't already have one to the tune of trillions of dollars in IOUs. In the final analysis, we have been blessed and all the huffing and puffing about this, that, and the other does not change the truth of God's provision. Some of my noisy haranguing is done for the purposes of writing my blog. But, it is not altogether tongue in cheek because we do have genuine concerns on the issue itself. I just want to make clear that I do believe in paying my taxes as we are instructed to do by God through His inspired Word, Romans 13:6 "For because of this you also pay taxes, for they are God’s ministers attending continually to this very thing." I thought I needed to make this clear given the orientation of some today who think withholding the payment of their taxes is their God-given right. Okay. That's enough on that subject until it comes up again. At least. I do hope you enjoy your Saturday and I am so thankful to report that if God provides we will be in the 8:30 a.m. early service come Sunday at Mims Baptist in Conroe. Feel free to join us there if you can. See you next time, Lord willing, and may God bless each one. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: