Monday, May 11, 2020

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." – Thomas A. Edison

Good morning and welcome. It is Monday, May 11, 2020, and I do bid you a warm welcome. Warm has been needed across the fruited plains with some unseasonably cold weather which has included snow in the northern climes. We enjoyed some coolish low 50's and for that I am grateful. Both Mr. Bentley and I enjoy the cooler days. I actually have enjoyed sitting outside in the wee hours just before daylight with Mr. Bentley in my lap and a cup of good strong Community in my hand. He serves as a blanket of sorts and we just enjoy our quiet time together. Simple blessings. No fanfare or fireworks, just a sense of quiet except for Mr. Bentley's snoring when he falls asleep. I told the wife the other morning I think I've figured out the song Mr. Bentley sings in anticipation of him and I going for 'the ride' each morning. I mean he can't help himself. He jumps up and down and generally is flipping out. I can hear him singing, "Christmas is a-comin, Christmas is a-comin". That's what I think he is thinking about. You know. When the kids were all held back to the last moment on Christmas morning and then turned loose to go into the room where the presents were under the tree. That's how he acts. Of course, he acts that way when we get back home. He acts that way the first time each morning when he greets the lady of the house. And, what do we usually do? Greet the day with a here we go again, it is what it is. See what I mean? God spoke to the prophet through a donkey and He is teaching me stuff about attitude and excitement from a wee little pup. No. I don't have a forwarding address yet for the 'home' they are putting me in. Not yet. Stay tuned. It might be a coming attraction.

I felt so privileged to be able to honor my wife on Mother's Day. I made her a big steak lunch with all the trimmings and tried my best to show my appreciation for her. We couldn't all be together this year. Let me rephrase that. We chose not to try and gather everyone in the same place this year. We do hope that will not be the case going forward, but, as we all have learned, adapting is the rule of the day. One thing I have never doubted was how much she deserved to be recognized and feted. Just so you know, that sure makes it a lot easier to do stuff for her. I am very clear on the Bible's mandate for me to love my wife in the same way Jesus loved the ecclesia, (Church), and gave Himself up on her behalf. (My interpretation of the Apostle Paul's inspired admonition from his letter to The Ephesians, Chapter 5, Verse 25) That calling is there whether I think she deserves it or not. Again, it makes it not only easy, but, it is fulfilling whenever it can be freely done from the heart. No. I am not laying the groundwork for Father's Day. And, I have no warrant to be laying groundwork since she has always gone above and beyond. Blessed. Not because of us being perfect and not because we are happy all the time, but, because God has helped us to enjoy our life together. Amen.

I was at the big box store Saturday to get the stuff I needed to make the Mother's Day meal. The parking lot was maybe three-fourths filled up. Maybe half of the folks I saw were wearing masks. The other half were just there, doing their thing. There seemed to be a lot of families shopping together. Mom, dad, and the kiddos. The other day a friend of ours posted how they got their littles out for the first time in the last seven weeks to go shopping. The mom commented on how the kids sat in the buggy saying over and over how beautiful everything was. I didn't really get to the part where I thought it all looked beautiful in my visit, however, I do know it is encouraging to see folks out and about again. And, after all is said and done, Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world, red, yellow, brown, black and white, they are precious in His sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world. (My version) While I had my wary eye on alert because of trying to wear my mask and every few minutes using my hand sanitizer, God saw them all as those He sent His Son to die for. To see others as He does, now that would be something else. I am still working on that one. Meanwhile, would you like a squirt from my hand sanitizer bottle? Take care and may God bless. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: