Wednesday, May 27, 2020

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein.

I get that folks are flexing their freedoms some, but, seeing the photos of people body to body in crowded beaches, swimming pools, and parties, well, that may be a regrettable decision for some. The good news I suppose was that I did not see a lot of white hair in any of those photos. Maybe a smidgen of wisdom does come with age. At any rate, I bid you greetings on this Wednesday, May 27, 2020. I was at the big box store to pick up a few items on Monday. I was in the aisle where you purchase the time-release super duper arthritis strength acetaminophen. (We spend way too much time in that aisle these days.)  A black lady and her 7 or 8-year-old daughter were there and the mom was reading the information on some of the allergy medications. She apologized for blocking my access. I told her not to worry because I was in no hurry. I could see the little girl was bored. We all had our masks on and I was all lathered up with sanitizer. She made a decision and they moved on. A few minutes later I met them again in the tooth product aisle. We all laughed and it hit me that I should break protocol and give the little girl one of my Santa cards. I asked her mom and she said, "Sure!" I handed it to her and her face lit up like a 4th of July celebration. I pulled down my mask long enough for her to see 'the beard'. It was a special moment. I mention it because even though she had a mask on she could still communicate excitement and joy. They were still carrying on, laughing and talking as I drove my shopping card out of sight. (This is where the 'Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!' comes into play. And, yes, the original poem had it as 'happy', not 'merry' as many revisions put it.)

A former CBS News executive recently gave his opinion of the current media climate. He believes the liberal domination within the mainstream today makes it impossible to ever see a move back to the center. In other words, that train has left and is never coming back. I read one person's thoughts on President Trump. He listed all the things he does that drives him up the wall. He mentioned the ongoing embarrassment, pettiness, outlandish behavior, and uncontrolled speech. He finished by giving his clear reasoning for voting for President Trump again. His analysis resonated with me. My constant refrain when speaking on this issue is this, 'compared to what?'. Make no mistake my friend, there are no smoke and mirrors regarding the choices today. There was a time when the left-leaning candidate would do their best to find a semblance of the center or middle position. So-called moderation. Not anymore! I'll never see President Trump in the way I view President Reagan, but, I knew that at the get-go. Here are two recent examples that tell the story. The president of Planned Parenthood said that if you do not support abortion you cannot be in the Democrat party. The presumed nominee, Joe Biden, recently said that if you are black and are having trouble making up your mind between him or President Trump, then you are not really black. I leave you with this as my closing thought, 'compared to what?'.

You may have seen one of the many coronavirus songs out on the web. They typically have lyrics written to the tune of a recognized hit. For instance, one of the good ones is 'Stuck in Coronaville' sung to the music from Jimmy Buffet's 'Margaritaville'. These funny songs have helped people to cope. There has also been a surge in poems written about the pandemic from those by children to folks of all ages. I chose this one as an example, more or less randomly, as it was submitted to the editorial page of the Northwest Herald, a regional paper serving McHenry County, Illinois.

The world in which we live today,

Is different than before.

The virus has taken lives away,

of families they adore.

The fear of the unknown,

The worry of what will be,

Are in the minds of all of us,

As everyone can see.

The Doctors and all the Nurses,

First Responders and others too,

Are putting their lives in danger,

To care for me and you.

The compassion and the care they give,

The hours spent so the sick can live,

We thank you for all you do!

We practice social distancing,

We shop in a different way,

We were asked to stay at home for now,

When will this go away?   Madeleine J. Barone, Huntley, Illinois

If my mother-in-law, Mom Rawles, was still around she would no doubt be churning out her own poems relating to our current status. Take care and maybe do a poem. It might help. May God bless. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: