Friday, May 1, 2020

"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters to what lies within us." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I know the stay at home order has now been lifted for our county. I don't really feel too different than I did when it was still in place. We plan to be prudent in our decisions regarding what to do and where to go until we get an idea about how all of this is working. It's Friday, May 1, 2020, and just for the record, we have not been obsessing, like so many, over which sit down restaurant we will be going to. One of the things the last six weeks have taught me is how staying at home will save you money. The other day I mentioned this to the wife and I told her I now know how many elderly folks make it on limited resources. They stay put. As someone who likes to, as my grandfather used to say, burn up the highway, she just grunted. I do know that mobility and activity are critical to getting the economic engine refired. My guess is that not too long from now we will not be remembering that much about Covid-19. We saw that with 9-11, and, I think this 'moving on' mentality is a part of our heritage. However, there are things worth remembering. There are lessons from all of this and here is an interesting verse from God's Word, Jeremiah 6:16: "This is what the Lord says: 'Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.'"

And, just for the record, I am running a wee bit late this morning. Mr. Bentley didn't eat my homework but he has gained 2-1/2 pounds since his annual checkup this past February. I heard the wife telling her sister that I was responsible for his weight gain since she said I feed him way too much people food. And, we all know what this quarantine snacking program has done to our individual waistlines. What's that? You are one of those who haven't gained a pound? You have stayed with your exercise program? Good for you! I'm not sure we can continue to be friends. It's taken quite an effort on my part to avoid all those programs that teach one how to exercise while being shut-in. It's not that I'm against it, I am bored and eating is so much better than doing situps. Our schedule is so different we sometimes forget when we ate last. Since I can't always remember, well, maybe I'll enjoy some chips or a moon pie to hold me over. I am first in line to admit I've done way too much holding over during the stay home program. And, my blood sugar has been running on average 20 points higher. This will give me something to work on going forward. Nothing like having a really b-i-i-i-g project to work on.

We greatly appreciate the outpouring of prayers and wishes for our Jimmy on his birthday yesterday. We were able to read the comments made on Facebook and even though he is in a difficult situation, I know those words of love were appreciated. I hear people occasionally say they are living the dream. I hear some say they are doing exactly what they thought they would be doing at this time in their life. I can't say we ever spent too much time thinking about exactly how it would be when we got to where we are right now, but, I can tell you this. We pretty much are making it, one day at a time, in and through the provision of Almighty God. His presence and provision have really been the only consistent reality for our sojourn. This leads me to my announcement for today: I woke up and I am thankful to God for all He has done, is doing, and will do as we continue our journey. We've been able to deal with a lot of stuff. So have others. Our response: We are thankful. The chorus to the country Gospel song. 'Thank You Lord for Your Blessings on Me' comes to mind:

There's a roof up above me
I've a good place to sleep
There's food on my table
And shoes on my feet
You gave me your love Lord
And a fine family
Thank you Lord
For your blessings on me!

Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. Lord willing, see you next time. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: