Monday, June 1, 2020

Life is like a hot bath. The longer you stay in it, it is the more wrinkled you get. ~ copied

Welcome back to our time together here on Monday, June 1, 2020, which does remind us all that time is moving on. Last week's strong thunderstorm turned our neighborhood into a debris field. We had limbs down but no structural damage. When Mr. Bentley and I made our inspection drive we saw some really large limbs that had been twisted off. Some homes were without power for nearly two days. I did notice one house that had no litter in its yard. That's because there were no trees there. Not even one. It reminded me of that Bible verse that gives us this insight, "Where no oxen are, the trough is clean; But much increase comes by the strength of an ox." (Proverbs 14:4) Those folks had no clean up because they had no trees but they also lose out on the beauty and the value of having beautiful scenery and the shade it affords. Even after having a monster pine tree slam through the roof of our home during Hurricane Ike, I'll still stay with having trees. The other day Mr. Bentley and I were sitting outside and a bird landed nearby. That bird had something it wanted to share. It started tweeting out its song but it was as if it had swallowed a megaphone. Loud. It was heralding its song loud and clear. I told Mr. Bentley the bird was nearly hurting my ears. Obviously, the bird had something to sing about. There are days when I need to be reminded to find and sing my song. Loudly. Well, maybe not too loudly. For what it's worth. 

I do need to update my report on the toilet paper caper from last week. I did not know all the facts. The paper I referred to was not, I repeat, was not, the product I purchased at the big box store. It was some my wife had gotten as a joke so I suppose it was a prank. Some people like pranks. Some do. I don't think on a scale of one to ten that I register at all in terms of enjoying being pranked. You can put a period after that. When I think of all of that stuff I wrote and how down I was to have purchased such an inferior product only to find out the truth, it does prove up one of my longstanding idioms. Nothing is as wrong as when you are convinced you are right and take action accordingly. My wife has since remedied the situation and the stuff I actually purchased, while not our regular brand, is more than adequate. And, yes, it is soft too. However, my being wrong did produce a pretty decent story about the thin and scratchy toilet paper. It's important to remember I did not make up the story. It was the facts on the ground as I knew them. Now I know the truth. Now you know the truth. Now we move on. Mercifully.

I knew it had to happen. I wasn't surprised. But, the extent of the lapse is what really got me. I finally went all the way in getting my days and nights mixed up. I went all day long this past Thursday thinking it was Wednesday. I did all my Wednesday stuff but none of my Thursday stuff. I didn't really even realize it until Friday morning. We have set routines. I lost one whole day of my routine and I took my wife down the path with me. Thanks to the little gray cells that played hooky all day. Thanks to my age for being a legitimate excuse. And, thanks to the stay-at-home quarantine that escalated this situation. Oh well, spilled milk and all of that stuff which makes for a good saying but does nothing to regain that lost day. And, what about the whiplash? This is what can happen when you are doing Thursday things on Friday. It's quite dangerous and I would say be very careful if you try it at home. The other thing you learn is how that when you are 70 plus and counting, much of what you do or don't do doesn't really amount to a hill of beans. If fact, it's hardly worth mentioning but since mentioning is what I do here, that's why it showed up today. For those who say, don't worry about it, move on. My response, that's easy for you to say. I'll say so long for now on what I believe to be this Monday and see how the rest of the day goes. Take care and may God bless us, one and all. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: