Thursday, August 8, 2019

My tidbits for today. One definition that seems to fit: "a small interesting but unimportant bit of news."

This is the place where the keystrokes get fixed onto the electronic page and that produces the text reflecting our visit for today, Thursday, August 8, 2019. We talk a lot today about how politicians are promising all kinds of free stuff if they get elected. Folks do respond to free stuff. It's in our nature. I well remember as a kid growing up the local grocery store became a part of some type of co-op. I think this group of stores was called Jitney Jungle. I wasn't interested any at all in the program they announced, but, they offered an entire day of free stuff, and, that, my friend, got my attention. Free hot dogs. Free drinks. Free grocery samples. That was a big deal in our little town. I also remember one of the gubernatorial candidates came through stumping for his election, and, while I wasn't old enough to vote, and I wasn't clued in on the issues of that day, I was drawn to the spot where they were serving up free food and drinks. As best I remember, I got myself pretty sick on all the different flavors of soda pop they were serving up. Free. I think we all are aware that 'free' stuff from the government doesn't mean that it doesn't cost something. Someone has to pay. While people clamor after giveaways, someone will have to pick up the tab. That picking up the tab will have an impact on our overall wellbeing as a nation. Nothing is free. No free lunches.

Back when I was growing up, I lived and breathed baseball, beginning with Little League through Dixie Youth. I'm not ashamed to say I slept with my glove at night. It was a Wilson Al Kaline signature glove. He was the player I followed. Recently, I had the opportunity to get an authentic Al Kaline autographed baseball. A fellow in our local fellowship is donating his sizeable collection of sports memorabilia to be auctioned off as a fundraiser for our youth ministry. I jumped at the chance to get the Al Kaline baseball. I checked and found a high value for the ball and made it a donation to the youth ministry. It means next to nothing to most folks but it does mean something to me. Here is an extract about him on his Baseball Hall of Fame page: "Offensive consistency became Kaline’s hallmark over the years, hitting at least 20 home runs and batting .300 or better nine times each. A superb defensive outfielder with a strong throwing arm, he also collected 10 Gold Glove awards. In the 1968 World Series, Kaline’s only appearance in the Fall Classic, he batted .379, hit two home runs and drove in eight to help Detroit knock off the St. Louis Cardinals in seven games. 'You almost have to watch him play every day to appreciate what he does,' said veteran pitcher and former Tigers teammate Johnny Podres. 'You hear about him, sure, but you really can’t understand until you see him. He just never makes a mistake.' By the time Kaline’s 22-year big league career ended in 1974, the lifelong Tiger and 18-time All-Star had collected 3,007 hits, 399 home runs and a .297 career batting average. 'People ask me, was it my goal to play in the majors for 20 years? Was it my goal to get 3,000 hits someday? Lord knows, I didn’t have any goals,' Kaline once said. I tell them, 'My only desire was to be a baseball player.'" Enough said!

I believe I had a similar attitude when I was playing because I only wanted to play ball. Period. Did I ever dream about playing in the big leagues? I can't say for sure, but, I do remember playing some games against some really outstanding players. I was really good, especially, when I played teams that were not so good. You know. Big fish. Little pond. However, not all teams fit the definition of being not so good. The really great teams made me aware of a more realistic perspective. Little fish. Big pond. I still have my Dixie Youth uniform. I think it might be a size 14. They made them last back then, out of wool. I'm not sure if there are any photos of me wearing my uniform. There might have been one or two in mom's stuff, but, I don't remember ever seeing any. I do remember playing. I actually even remember some of the games. I particularly remember one game where I made a huge error. It likely cost us the game. Isn't it interesting how that one still makes my gut tighten up? I let down my team. I know I hit a few home runs. I also know when pitching I hit a few batters. I played consistently for maybe four or five years. I can remember many of my teammates. My coaches. It no doubt helped me become who I am today. I'm not sure how but I think one is supposed to say stuff like that. That is why I put it in. Enjoy. Thank God. See you next time, Lord willing. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: