Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Spending time with great grands does tend to put a pep in our step.

We pause to say Happy Birthday to our granddaughter twins, Alesha and Amanda. They become 21-year-olds today. They are in the middle of their birthday cruise with their mom and we thank God for them and pray His blessings as they continue to pursue the life He has given. Amen.

It's Tuesday, August 6, 2019. Welcome. Okay. We may be busy, but, often it is what we call a 'good' busy. That typically reflects being up and about on behalf of a good cause, to help someone, or, to enjoy time with someone very special. We actually have a little of 'all of the above', but, today we are supposed to have our very first great-grand, Madelyn Joy, to come and spend the night with us and all day tomorrow. She now lives in San Antonio but is over for the week with her grands, our eldest Chris and wife Sherrie. It has been a good long spell since she has spent the night with us and we are so looking forward to her being with us. I know her and her great-grand MiMi have some shopping in mind for Wednesday, but, I'm hoping we can all do a movie or some other stuff too. She is a remarkable young lady and we thank God for her. This particular 'busy' opportunity is a distinct blessing and we thank God she wants to come and we are still able to enjoy her company. We do not take it for granted.

It's pretty easy to talk oneself into being annoyed. I mean, everyone knows the lane is merging into a single lane only, but, folks still hang on to the lane that is going away to force their way over at the last possible second. Nearly every single day you are out driving here and there, you see a potential road rage incident. I think at times the fellows driving the jacked-up trucks believe they have been given permission to bully everyone else out on the roadways. Those weaving in and out of traffic, even attempting to advance their position by darting in and out on the left and right shoulders, well, it's hard to not feel bad towards that kind of ridiculous behavior. The other day I was driving along and a car two lanes over on my left cut directly in front of me to make an exit on the right. I and two other cars slammed our brakes to avoid hitting them. Screaming at them is not going to change anything. Staying cool, for me, typically involves recognizing we all are capable of doing stupid things, sometimes intentionally, and other times, just because we are tuned out. Praying. Praying for those who are putting themselves and others in harm's way. Praying for me, myself, and I, because when I become angry and out of control, I typically am not much better than the person causing all the grief. I will say this. What used to be somewhat of an isolated situation has become very prevalent. Maybe everyone is wound way too tight. Dangerously so. Yes! Even, deadly.

I was thinking about writing some about things that I have never shared before. I've made it clear before there are experiences and events that I will never write about. However, going through the various file cabinets located in the brain vault looking for previously overlooked material, well, that can be arduous, and, exhausting. You look for files that have the heading 'The Time I' at the top. What I found is a lot of rusty cabinets and the drawers are hard to open these days. Many of the files have yellowed over time and their labels are very hard to read. Those who study such things as this say our memories fade without reinforcement. If we do not think about things for a long period of time, as we age we begin to lose clarity. Another factor is how we tend to add new memories all the time. That can make the older ones harder to grab hold of. I'm not distressed about it, just on the lookout for interesting information to share from my soon to be three score ten plus three years of breathing air on the planet, (plus the nine months waiting to make my appearance). I know some of you are wondering about capacity. Here's a quote from a research paper on the subject:  "Most computational neuroscientists tend to estimate human storage capacity somewhere between 10 terabytes and 100 terabytes, though the full spectrum of guesses ranges from 1 terabyte to 2.5 petabytes. (One terabyte is equal to about 1,000 gigabytes or about 1 million megabytes; a petabyte is about 1,000 terabytes." I'll let us all think about that for a while and I will likely be the first to know when I recover anything of value. I should be the first. I would hope so. Take care and may God bless each one. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: