Tuesday, August 13, 2019

"Do you know how helpless you feel if you have a full cup of coffee in your hand and you start to sneeze?" - Jean Kerr

Good morning. It's Tuesday, August 13, 2019. Welcome. One and all. I am keeping an eye on the itinerary for our planned vacation. Checking on all the things we will be doing? Not even close! Just checking the weather. The closer we get, it follows the forecasts will be more accurate. I would hate to get there looking for morning lows in the mid to high 40's and end up with the overnights in the high sultry 70s like it is here. I know some of you are wondering about Community Coffee up in Colorado and New Mexico. Not to worry. I have pulled out my trusty one cup percolator and I have been checking it out the old fashioned way, using a bag of Community ground coffee. It may not be as convenient as the individual serve cups but I can make it as strong as the circumstances warrant. Carrying the Community and my three feather pillows are on the top of my list. Most of the other stuff is pretty much optional or replaceable. Before you get the idea that I have some strange idiosyncratic quirks, I will not mention how the wife carries her electric warming blanket nearly everywhere she travels. It just goes to show you. Whatever it goes to show. It does do it. Yep. It does.

If it's possible for old people to have a blast, we had one last week when our great grand Madi was staying with us. Her energy and spontaneity were contagious. (Only on a temporary basis.) The aches and muscle pains came with the afterglow. Before Madi came, we had a couple of young college girls come to our house. It was our niece and her friend. They left their car at our house and we transported them to the big airport for their flight to California. They were out on a sightseeing adventure. This was on a Monday. They had just returned the day before, Sunday, from a cruise. Kids today! We went to fetch them this past Saturday evening at 11:30 p.m. They decided they would return to Louisiana directly from the airport so the wife took their car and I was there to bring her back to the house. When we finally got their stuff loaded at 1 a.m., I asked our niece, "You girls are tired, are you sure you want to make this drive before resting some?" My niece immediately said, "Don't worry, uncle,  we are 20 and this is no problem at all!" To be young again. I mentioned how it had been a long time since I had said anything like that. The wife piped up, "Yep, at 20, I was pregnant with our second child." Well, that pretty well summed it up and we got back to bed at 1:30 a.m., feeling blessed. Amen.

As I worked on today's edition, I had a couple of old-time radio programs playing in the background. One was the Fibber Mcgee and Molly Program from 1942 where Fibber was busily trying to tame his quick temper. It was very funny. The other program was a George Burns and Gracie Allen episode where Gracie was trying to set up her friend with a fellow and George got the idea she was leaving him for this guy. It was also funny. It too came from the 1940s. There are literally 1,000s of these programs archived out on the internet. They are like tiny time capsules in and of themselves. I enjoy them. The music. Even the commercials. We have one of those off channels on our satellite system that plays a lot of really old tv programs. I occasionally catch the early Dragnet episodes from 1951. They are quite different from policing in our world today, however, some things really never change. Evil deeds were prevalent back then and they still are today. Law enforcement had a dangerous job in dealing with lawbreakers back then and they still do today. We do have some folks who contend people are not sinners. They believe it is an acquired behavior. I believe the Bible teaches something different than that. From the Genesis account to the closing words of The Revelation of Jesus Christ, we have the Creator's Truths about all people being born with a sin nature and in need of God's provided redemption. The Apostle Paul makes it very clear, "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23) Thankfully, He made a way, the only way, for men, women, boys, and girls to be made right in His sight. (John 3:16) Have a great rest of the day and may God add His blessings. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: