Thursday, May 2, 2019

“I wish I could type as fast as I think!” ― Phillip R. Hall

It's Thursday, May 2, 2019, and, I survived the dentist visit. I do have to go back later this month when they get the crown made. I think they glue it in. Must be pretty good glue. Right? I mean, it has to be to stand up to barbecue ribs. I saw where the new Avengers movie has made $1.5 billion thus far and lots of folks are talking about it. I plead ignorance because I'm not sure I would know enough about the background to appreciate what was happening. I've seen some of the Avenger movies on TV. I can't remember watching all of any of them. Just bits and pieces, here and there. I've seen Thor throwing his hammer and I've seen some of Captain America doing something in WWII. The people on social media who are into all things Avenger have pretty much gone gaga over this last rendering. They can't quit talking about it and some have already seen it multiple times. The wife and I stayed up the other night and watched the 1952 'The Quiet Man' starring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. It was showing on the classic movie channel. To us, it reflects what movie making is all about. We've seen it several times on TV over the years but I can't ever remember ever going to the theater to see the same movie more than once. I may have, but, nothing comes to mind. In the final analysis, it ends up being different strokes for different folks. Enjoy. I would give a spoiler alert but I don't know anything about any of it. Maybe next time. (I suppose buying the videotapes or DVDs is similar to paying to see it a second time. We have done some of that.)

While I was laid back in the dentist chair I could hear stuff being said. "We will finish #14 but he will soon need to have something done to #17." While we were waiting for the temporary to dry I asked the technician what was being said about #17. She said I had a slight fracture and it too will soon need a crown. Really? I told her I would need to build a model to try and determine the economic feasibility of doing #17 given I'm 72 years young. Her response? Classic: "But sir, you might just live to be 90." These kinds of developments are why dental offices are thought of like auto repair shops. "Excuse me, I just came for an oil change and you are telling me I need a new timing belt?" And, just so you know I am giving my thoughts fair and square, that little ditty about the cosmetic dental service commercial with the two principals grinning with the bad teeth? Someone else also noticed the same thing and they let me know about it. The work being done on #14 was supposed to have been finished maybe 18 months ago. Every time I went to have my teeth checked and cleaned they warned me that I was playing with danger. That's a jaw tooth and you do need it to chew. While they were working on #14 the dentist kept up the pressure. "Man, we almost waited too long on this one." Translation: Don't do the same thing on #17. I wonder if they know I have learned their language?

I chose today's title as a recollection of how it used to be. Because, to be sure, I'm not as fast as I used to be. I find myself struggling at times to deconstruct some thoughts and ideas worthy of being shared. Before, that title was very much a wish I had. Today, I often wish I could think as fast as I can type. Don't get me wrong. I am very sure there is no shortage of material, but, the process of mining for usable information, well, it has become more labor-intensive, to say the least. Like the thoughts I had the other day concerning those who taught me how to play baseball. I know someone did. And, yes, I do remember a coach or two that I had. I just don't remember them spending a lot of time giving me personal instruction. Obviously, it bothers me because I just mentioned it again. Maybe I was a natural. Not likely, but, I'll go with that for now. I well remember folks who encouraged me in my baseball days. They helped get me to the games. I just thought it would be nice to know how I learned to play. Maybe later. It was, after all, a very long time ago. I do remember when we lived in Port Arthur, Texas before dad passed away, I was in the second grade and mom sent me to school wearing a jumper of sorts with straps, short pants, and the legs flared. The kids would laugh because at times when we were all sitting in a circle they could see my underwear. I was born with a high embarrassment response and the teacher could see how distressed I was. She made a formal announcement to the class that everyone wore underclothes and she would not tolerate any teasing. See? I remember that but, not who taught me to catch screaming line drives down at third base. Enough. Let's get out there and play ball! Enjoy and know that God is still on His throne. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: