Tuesday, April 17, 2018

“Will you please tell Santa that instead of presents this year, I just want my family back.” — Kevin McCallister, from the original 'Home Alone' movie

The wife with Mark Lowry.
Good Tuesday morning, this one happens to fall on the final day for tax filing, April 17, 2017. I know many of you, like me, were wondering why it was moved out to the 17th this year. We knew the 15th was on Sunday, but, one would think the filing deadline would have been Monday the 16th. Here's the reason: "The nation's capital celebrates Emancipation Day to mark the date that President Abraham Lincoln freed slaves there in 1862. While it's a local holiday, it affects when taxes are due." Now we know. The wife left me again. She went to Louisiana last Friday and returned home yesterday. She and her sister and brother along with others attended the annual Catfish Festival in Winnsboro, Louisiana. That's where the wife was born and that's where her brother Cleon still lives. One of the performers at the festival was Mark Lowry, the renowned Christian singer-songwriter, and comedian. She was able to have a picture made with Mark. He is a funny fellow and he also proved he could write song lyrics with his song, "Mary Did You Know?" She did tell me the catfish she ate wasn't really that good. However, it is my understanding that a good time was had by all.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I was left to fend for myself. I know what many of you are thinking. I should be used to it by now. On Sunday, our pastor preached a sermon and part of it dealt with us being salt and light. He illustrated the value of salt by talking about his favorite hamburger, the Whataburger. He said he gets that burger and opens it up and pours the salt on because it makes it taste so good. As salt, we are to add flavor to all those we come in contact with. On my way home I began to think about the profound meaning from that sermon. The thought came to me. Maybe I should go by and get me a Whataburger. I began to debate whether I should or not. On the one hand, it would likely not be that good for me. On the other hand, it was mentioned in the sermon and the pastor said it was good. I passed up the exit that didn't go by the Whataburger place. I went through the drive-through. When I got home I did exactly what the pastor said to do. I opened it up and poured on the salt. Sunday evening I went up to him and told him I didn't realize we would now have to be dealing with product placement announcements during the sermons. You know. Subliminal suggestions. I explained to him how I came to eat a Whataburger. He laughed and said his wife had wondered how many of our members had stopped there for lunch. This is how it goes when I am home alone, all by myself, humming how that one is the loneliest number.

You bet what? My blood sugar number was out of sight on Monday morning? Believe it or not, I will never understand exactly how this works but it was an 89. (Maybe the preacher was right and it's a God thing.) That blood glucose reading was the lowest I can remember since I began sticking holes in my fingers back in September of 2007. A conservative estimate would indicate that I've used that little lancet launcher on my fingers just under 3,000 times. Maybe the 89 was a fluke. I'll take it anyway. And, thank you Whataburger, and our good Dr. Pastor for their collaboration. One thing about being alone is you don't hear the well-intended question, "You are not going to eat that, are you?" I know it is only put forth out of concern for my health and wellbeing, however, may I just say that when it is on the plate in front of me, it is pretty obvious what my intentions are. I am thankful for my wife who does care about me hanging around as long as the Lord allows. There wasn't any Blue Bell in our freezer so I didn't have that temptation to deal with. I'm trying to remember any sermons I've heard that might give me the right to enjoy some homemade vanilla. I did find this one from Nehemiah, Chapter 8, Verse 10, "Then he said to them, 'Go your way, eat the fat, drink the sweet, and send portions to those for whom nothing is prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord. Do not sorrow, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.'" I took care of the fat with the Whataburger. I could melt the Blue Bell and drink the sweet. Nothing like being biblical on a Tuesday. Enjoy the rest of your day and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: