Wednesday, April 4, 2018

This was reported to be a true story: "When W. C. Fields, the actor, was in his dotage he was seen to be reading the Bible by a close friend who demanded to know what he was looking for. 'Loopholes, dear boy, loopholes,' murmured Fields." ~ copied

Welcome to another visit here at the ole blogger ranch where senior moments are often the order of the day. It's Wednesday, April 3, 2018, and I do send out a hearty howdy to everyone tuning in today. I am aware the term 'senior moment' gets a lot of blame for just about any and everything that goes awry, however, it is, my friend, becoming more of a true reflection of my day by day living. The other day I left our company to go take care of some business. I was very much intentional about where I was going. Before I left, I glanced at the location on the map on the computer screen just to confirm the location. The glance was really not enough because the place I went to wasn't even close. Wrong company. Wrong location. Some of you are wondering why I don't use the GPS directional service on my phone. What a funny question. Why would I do that when I know exactly where I am going? There was some good news. The place I was supposed to go to was down the road from where I went. Maybe another 5 miles. I sure am glad I discovered it before I barged into the wrong company. How did I find the right address? I used one of my 'phone a friend' options and got our Jimmy on the line to help his wavering dad. The good news? Once he told me where it was, I knew exactly where it was. How do you like that? Here's how I know it was a senior moment. I could see that place in my mind's eye. Mind's eye, my foot! Well, thankfully, I did get the mission accomplished and I am reminded that I should remind myself to check my destination plan even if I know where it is.

I can hear Granny Mac's sweet voice, "Now son, I don't think I would have told that one." I see her point, but, at the same time, I think finding something to laugh about is better than getting all bent out of shape over things that happen to us older folks. I shared something similar to this many blogs ago, but I do think we need a code system more suited to those of us who have a Medicare card with oak leaf clusters. Here are some recommendations: "ATD - At the Doctor's ~ BFF - Best Friend's Funeral ~ BTW - Bring the Wheelchair ~ BYOT - Bring Your Own Teeth ~  DWI - Driving While Incontinent ~ FWIW - Forgot Where I Was ~ FYI - Found Your Insulin ~ LOL - Living on Lipitor ~ ROFL...CGU - Rolling on the Floor Laughing...Can't Get Up! ~ TOT - Texting on Toilet ~ WWNO - Walker Wheels Need Oil ~ Hope these help. GGLKI (Gotta Go, Laxative Kicking in!)" Getting old is not for the faint-hearted. Here's one I hear as folks mark time here on the planet, "Sometimes when I open my mouth, my mom comes out." There is good news in all of this. You can tell your close friends your most intimate secrets because they likely won't be able to remember them. Finally, to put it into a proper perspective here's what I found to be true, "Aging appears to be the only available way to live a longer life."

Let me be clear. I know that most people who know me understand that I would never, ever, poke fun at folks who are dealing with serious health issues, regardless of their age. We watched our mom and our dad deal with the end game of having lived a long productive life. It can be very difficult. However, on balance, I come away with nothing but thankfulness for the time God allowed us to have with them. Sure, it got tough at times as their time grew closer to leave this world. But, while I miss them, I end up being thankful. The wife and I feel the same way about her folks. They too struggled at the end with a myriad of physical issues, however, what blessings they were to our lives. Their imparted wisdom continues with us today. If you've read my blogs for any time at all, you are aware of the impact that older folks had on my life. I quote them a lot. I still remember them a lot. I've had people tell me they have no pleasant memories of their folks that they care to recall or think about. I feel for them. How sad. I am glad when I hear one of my boys quoting the wife's dad, or Paw Paw Mac, or my mom and dad. Those little tidbits of time are part of God's treasure to us. And, one more time, "Thank you, Lord!" Amen. ...More later.

No comments: