Wednesday, April 11, 2018

"If you don't know your history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." ~ Michael Crichton

Good morning and welcome. We have before us the day the Lord has given, let us rejoice and be glad in it. (Psalm 118:24) This one happens to be Wednesday, April 11, 2018, and I'm tossing around some stuff for us to think about. I like to try and remember some of the things my folks used to say when I was a wee little lad growing up. My Granny Mac used this one quite often, "Don't worry son, it will all come out in the wash." While this saying has been alluded to in many different forms, the actual use of this particular phrase can be dated back to 1876. It is connected to how the wash cleanses a soiled garment for all to see. In other words, the truth will come out. My grandad, Paw Paw Mac would hurl this one at us when we were out of sorts, "You've got the same clothes to get glad in." That is identified as a Southern composition with a number of variations. "You can get glad in the same pants you got mad in." We didn't need a search engine to know the meaning. You can sull up like an angry opossum and be that way as long as you choose, but, it's up to you to get rid of that bad attitude. Oh yeah. If that didn't work, this one usually got our attention, "Hey, do you want me to give you something to cry about?" Special memories from special people. I think they did a pretty decent job. And, for those who feel they were somehow injured by these homespun phrases, well, I do believe the statute of limitations has come and gone. Meanwhile, Paw Paw liked to tell me as we pulled that crosscut saw forth and back, "Son, don't lean on the saw, I didn't eat your breakfast. And, quiet down, I'll do enough grunting for both of us."

My wife wants me to be checked by my doctor. My primary care. Not the psychiatrist. (That train left a long time ago.) At any rate, she thinks she has noticed some tremors or shaking on my part. I haven't but she says it has been confirmed by other eyewitnesses. I'm not taking this lightly. I will mention it next time I go. The other day I was out and about. I was outside and it came an unexpected downpour. The temp was in the 50's and I was chilled. I called her up and told her that I had been really shaking that morning. She wanted to know the details. I told her I got caught out in the rain and it was pretty chilly, therefore, I had noticed me shaking a little. I told she could post that in her journal. She wasn't amused. Sometimes she sounds like my mom, "You listen to me, I will go in with you to see the doctor." I thought it was a good joke. She wasn't as impressed. She notices me doing the shaking deal mostly in Church. I told her that it might be one of two things. I could be dozing off which does happen when my blood sugar gets out of whack. Or, maybe I am under conviction. That happens quite often as the Word goes forth. I thought I might surprise her by learning the lyrics from the Jerry Lee Lewis hit, "Whole lot of shaking going on." But, that might be taking it too far, if I haven't already. I know. It could be a symptom. I will discuss it with my doctor. I promise. Meanwhile, here's another one from my folks, "Son, you might as well laugh as to cry."

The other day I was visiting with a fellow in his early 80's. We were talking about one of our class members who had been in a car accident. He had been riding with another gentleman who was a newer member of our Church but not in our class. So I asked about the driver's age. He said he had visited the driver in the hospital and thought he was quite elderly, maybe in his late 60's or early 70's. I don't know why but that was funny to me. This guy in his early 80's saying the other fellow was quite elderly. I do know where he is coming from. I see people all the time who are in my age range and I immediately think of them as old people. At the same time, I often don't think of myself that way. Except for the shaking part. Scientists tell us this has to do with our mental image of ourselves. When one sees himself in a mirror, much of what is communicated has to do with the perception in one's mind. I'm still somewhat physically able to get up and go. That does have an impact on how I see myself. Truth is, we tend to be kind of funny about things like that. They do make mirrors that are accurate. They are expensive. Most people who buy them are not pleased with what they see. However, photographs are typically more accurate than the standard bathroom mirror we peer into. I do know that my body is going the way of all mankind. It is aging. And, that is a part of the journey. They used to say you are only as old as you feel. On some days that means I am a very old man. On others, not so much. At the end of it all, I am thankful for the years the Lord has given to me and I pray that He will help me to use them to honor Him and serve others. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: