Monday, April 23, 2018

Happy Birthday to my dear wife! "For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh." (Genesis 2:24)

This is one of the most important days of the year. For me. For our family. For many others too. It's Monday, April 23, 2018, and it just happens to be the anniversary of the birth of my dear wife, Marilyn. Her parents handed her over to my care back in December of 1964 and we look back on all these years and I conclude by saying, Thank You, Lord! We've had plenty of challenges and yes, heartaches as well. However, God has been good to give me the wife I have for these nearly 54 years. She is a person of distinction because of her identity as a Godly woman. That shows up in how she ministers to our entire family, her circle of friends, and those who have needs. She is a Proverbs 31 woman and today I do exactly what that text says, "I join our children in rising up to praise her." (Proverbs 31:28) Happy Birthday Sweetheart, may God continue to bless as we continue our journey together. Amen.

It's also the 19th anniversary of the wedding day of our Rodney and wife Mitzi. We thank God for them and how they have been a blessing to us, to their children, our grands, Kyleigh, Lexie, and Brady. May God continue to bless is our daily prayer. Happy Anniversary. Love, mom, and dad.

Okay. I will admit it. I have been dragging a little over the past few weeks. At the same time, I've been working longer than usual hours. That combination has brought on a malady they used to feature on the old Geritol commercials, tired blood. I think I'm getting better but I do have a checkup with my primary care physician coming up soon. Last Wednesday evening I was running late getting home. I told the wife I thought maybe I should just stay home and not try to make the Wednesday evening gathering at our local fellowship. She left early to take some food to a shut-in, so she was gone when I got home. She had supper on the stove top. As I sat at the kitchen table I began to wonder about whether I should stay home or not. It was already past when I typically leave. The thought occurred to me that I would not let how I currently felt keep me from making it to work. Therefore, I got up and got moving, and made it to the services. It was the right decision. On Thursday evening I was running late again. We have a Thursday evening gathering in our home of some dear brothers and sisters in Christ. We sing, pray, I teach a short lesson, followed by some fellowship and feasting. I was dragging but that little gathering gave me a big boost. Here's a funny one on me, myself, and I. Early Friday morning I woke up thinking it was Saturday. I looked at the clock. It was way too early to get up on a Saturday. I then remembered that we had our little meeting last evening. That would have been Thursday! It's not Saturday. I jumped up and got myself ready and was here in my chair at 4:15 a.m. I do wonder about myself sometimes. You too? Good. As you can tell, you have good reason to be concerned.

They say that confession is good for the soul but not always good for your career or your reputation. Dennis the Menace has been put in the corner by his mom to which he says, "Confession may be good for the soul but it sure is taking away from my playing time..." Then there is the deathbed confession. I saw one where everyone was gathered in the room. The dying man whispered something to his nurse. The nurse announced, "Whichever one of you is his life coach, you are fired!" Also, there was the little old lady who was nearing the end and she told her husband, "Sorry, honey, but we are bankrupt." He was flabbergasted. "How? Why?" She replied, "I never could learn how to fold fitted sheets so I bought new ones every time." We have this classic. The old man was soon to leave this world. He could barely talk. His wife stood by to help as best she could. He tried to talk. She told him it wasn't necessary. He said he had to get something off his chest. He finally got up enough strength to blurt out how unfaithful he had been to her. She simply replied, "Don't worry about it honey, I know all about it, why do you think I poisoned you?" I haven't seen the hook come out yet to pull me off the stage but I think I'll leave while I'm still behind. Take care. Enjoy your Monday, and as the late, great, singer Ernie Ford would say these words which became the title of one of his vinyl record releases, "Bless Your Pea Pickin Heart!" I add, may God bless us all. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: