Thursday, April 19, 2018

"Get rid of all bitterness, passion, and anger. No more shouting or insults, no more hateful feelings of any sort. Instead, be kind and tender-hearted to one another, and forgive one another, as God has forgiven you through Christ." ~ (Ephesians 4:31-32)

Here we go again. This time we are geared up to face the day before us and this one happens to be: Thursday, April 19, 2018. That shoe on the other foot will get us every time. I see people lamenting how they were maligned in their school or on their job for being a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ. They decry the mistreatment they have to deal with. However, whenever someone in the public does something stupid, many times the Christians are the ones calling for them to be burned at the stake. The inspector who recently wrote up a business for flying military flags created a hostile situation. She then got into an argument with a decorated veteran who had been wounded in combat. In the heat of the argument, she blurted out that he had not really done anything for his country. She later apologized and told about her own family's storied history of military service. That was not good enough for us God-fearing folk. The cry for blood was unrelenting. She has now been suspended from her job. My guess is that she will, for one reason or another, end up either losing her job or leaving due to the threats and other pressures. I was upset with her actions in the situation that occurred. The city has since changed the ordinance to make sure this doesn't happen again. She has asked for forgiveness. I leave this topic with this comment: "In Matthew, Jesus says that church members should forgive each other 'seventy times seven times' (18:22), a number that symbolizes boundlessness." People of faith should not lose their jobs because of their religious affiliation. People who make a mistake, (although she was technically correct based on the ordinance she cited), shouldn't lose their job once they apologize and commit to making it right.

One reason I mention this is because of the reputation that Christians have in general, and in particular, in the workplace. I've been working in public roles for over 55 years and often people who are the loudest in wearing their religion on their sleeve are the ones thought to be the most vicious. Sorry. But, it's the truth. I've worked with a number of folks who were like that. I have seen their negative influence on their lost co-workers. You know. "If this is what it's all about, I want no part of it!" At times, I may have been on the edge of that line. I hope not. It's not so much about holding people accountable, but, rather, it has to do with how we carry ourselves. Christians who operate mostly in an un-Christlike manner fail to honor the calling on their lives. A person can be tough and committed, strong, and faithful to their jobs without being mean-spirited, angry, un-loving, and vindictive. I've worked for some very harsh people in my time and when I was blessed to assume different management positions I pledged myself to not treat people the way I had been treated. I may not have always made that happen, but, it was a work in progress. It matters. For some, we end up being the Bible they read and the Gospel they hear. Something for us all to think about. Amen.

I am not preaching down to anyone. I am talking to us all, beginning with me, myself, and I. Believe me, I've got plenty of work to do in my own backyard. For those who think they have arrived, well, that has certainly not been my experience. The kid's song continues to apply to my daily life. "He's still working on me To make me what I need to be It took him just a week to make the moon and stars The sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars How loving and patient He must be 'Cause He's still workin' on me." I get the idea that will still be my testimony until the day I realize what it means to be "absent from the body and present with the Lord." (2nd Corinthians 5:8) Until then, we can support each other as fellow strugglers. Can someone be loving and kind without compromising the truths that God has given to us? Only with His help which He provides to us through His Word and through the Holy Spirit who abides in each believer. I promise I did not show up today to deal with theological matters. I shared what was on my mind and in my heart. That's how it works here at the ole blogger ranch. I sometimes finish an episode, proofread it, and, I'm surprised too by what it says. Have a great rest of the day Thursday and may God add His blessings to our day. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: