Monday, April 16, 2018

"I do not like toll roads. Taxpayers are already paying for those roads through their gas taxes, and then to turn around and tell them they need to pay more to drive on the roads, I don't like it." Sam Graves, US Congressman from Missouri

I bring you greetings in this forum for the 2,790th time as we get back to it, on this, back to work Monday, April 16, 2018. I was reading about a recent debate regarding portions of highways being built and whether they will be tolled are not. Welcome to the silent revenue generator that does its thing 24x7 with no voter review or input. Tolls. They just collect the money. These, in my opinion, have become the politician's dream machine and ATM. Recently, a flyover was completely paid off on a major thoroughfare but those receiving the funds were very reluctant to take down the toll booth. But, the tolls are there to pay for these road systems. Really? What happens whenever they are paid off? Well, there are other roads that need to be paid, plus, we have a huge administrative and enforcement overhead to cover, and other projects as well. Here's my take. You know something is up when you are attempting to read the road signs for your exit but the warnings for how you will be prosecuted for not paying your toll are so huge you can't really see the other signs. I kid you not. In our area, the Harris County Toll Authority collected just under $780 million to operate its systems in 2016. That's just one of the state's large toll operations. They were proud of how all that money was spent. Meanwhile, those collection monitors keep flashing and the money keeps rolling in. "Rolling, rolling, rolling, rawhide!"

It may be time to resurrect one of my favorite quotes from the author and humorist, Gerald Barzan, "Taxation with representation ain't so hot either." Since most of us are participants in the taxation part of the equation, we do have the right to voice our opinions and concerns. I am aware that as a citizen, I have a duty to pay my taxes. (The United States Constitution, Article 1, Section 8, Clause 1) I also have a God-directed admonition to honor government and to pay my taxes. (Matthew 22:17-29, Romans 13:1-7, 1 Peter 2:13-17) This doesn't mean that we are also called to support corruption in office and waste of collected taxpayer funds. There are those who advocate the inefficiencies of government spending because it has to be that way, by design. And, we are supposed to be okay with that. The famous bridge to nowhere that was constructed cost taxpayers $320 million. We are also told that with spending for the federal government nearly $4 trillion per year, why should we be focused on such small amounts? It's really not worth the time to even discuss it. And, we don't have to guess if there are other bridges to nowhere because they pretty much are a feature of how government operates on all levels. I know that for a fact. From time to time, I scan newspaper headlines from all over our land/world. (829 Front Pages can be found at http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/) One of the most commonly seen headlines deals with government corruption, from the top echelons of our federal bureaucracy to the proverbial local dog catcher, and everything in-between. These typically reflect misuse, abuse, embezzlement, scandal, corruption, and you name it, it's a part of the fabric, typically, all at taxpayer expense. Sadly, I can write about it but at the end of it all it's kind of like the weather, "Everyone talks about the weather but no one does anything about it."

I actually am not cynical about these matters. I attempt to be a realist. At the same time, the basis for truth is that which has been given to us by God. Because of knowing the truth, we are aware of how sin has penetrated every facet of life. Not just government. The Prophet Jeremiah was inspired to give us this truth, "The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?" (Jeremiah 17:9) That includes us all. That's right. None righteous. No. Not one. Yet, God through His mercy and grace in eternity past made a way that men, women, boys, and girls could be made righteous in His sight. That involved providing His created human family with salvation and that came to us through a Savior, His Son, our Lord Jesus Christ. Those of us who have accepted God's provision have been made right with Him, now and forever, Amen. As born-again believers, we still have our flesh to contend with, to battle, and to subdue with His power that indwells us. It's an ongoing battle and can only be won with His help. He somehow gets honor whenever we fight those battles and allow Him to help us to overcome. This is why I am not a cynic. I am a believer in the Lord God of heaven and I trust Him and His Sovereign control over all things. Because of this, I'm actually just passing through this world on my way home. While I am here, I will do my best to meet my responsibilities, including praying for and supporting the government that God ordained. That includes paying my taxes. It does not include being happy about the many bridges to nowhere that permeates our governance. That's my take for today. I think I'm going to stick with it. Have a great rest of the day and may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: