Friday, April 6, 2018

“The world isn't just the way it is. It is how we understand it, no? And in understanding something, we bring something to it, no? Doesn't that make life a story?” ― Yann Martel

Hello and welcome. It is Friday, April 6, 2018. Ten years ago on Friday, April 4, 2008, I was reporting on this little story.

Example only. Not the actual place.
~ I had the MRI done on my knee last night and now await the results. The place where I went to have it done was a little eerie. You know by now I am a visual person and when I arrived at Suite 100, I immediately sensed that this particular location had previously been a funeral home. Now that may be a morbid thought for you on a Friday morning but I do speak the truth here. The carpet, the overstuffed sofas, the lighting, the other furnishings, along with that unique smell, made me wonder if I was in the right place. And, I could have sworn the little old lady receptionist patted my hand as she shook it, just like they do at that place we would rather not think about on a Friday. The only thing missing was one of those organ tapes playing in the background that's been used so much it drags just enough to irritate you. While the technician was doing the MRI she gave me some earphones and I asked her to set the radio to a local Christian station. The program on was Grace to You, featuring Dr. John MacArthur and I do love his teaching but could only pick up bits and pieces since the MRI was rocking and knocking so loud. Oh well, another day and another challenge. The entire procedure was only twenty minutes BUT I'm one of those people who have much trouble being confined or restricted in any way. Being still for 20 minutes shouldn't be that big of a deal to anyone. BUT it is to me. Thankfully, I made it without causing too much of a ruckus and now I'm ready to begin a brand new day. ~

I chose that title for today's edition because the unfolding of our life, told or untold, does consist of 'our story'. I feel blessed to have been brought up in a 'storytelling' tradition. I remember many of the short vignettes of his life as shared by my grandfather. He talked about how they lived off the land. He talked about the chores he was given to do as a youngster. He talked about hardship and challenge. He also talked about being faithful along with the provision and providence of Almighty God. I know many of the losses, challenges, and heartbreaks he faced in his life, therefore, it's little wonder that his favorite song in the hymnbook had this lyric in the chorus, "Many things about tomorrow I don’t seem to understand; But I know who holds tomorrow, and I know who holds my hand." That song was written by Ira Stanphill and published in 1950. It came about because of a period of pain and depression in the writer's life. Thus, we feel his heart in the verses, 1) "I don’t know about tomorrow, I just live from day to day, I don’t borrow from its sunshine, For its skies may turn to gray. I don’t worry o’er the future, For I know what Jesus said, And today I’ll walk beside Him, for He knows what is ahead." 2) "Every step is getting brighter, As the golden stairs I climb; Every burden’s getting lighter; Every cloud is silver lined. There the sun is always shining, There no tear will dim the eye, At the ending of the rainbow, Where the mountains touch the sky." 3) "I don’t know about tomorrow, It may bring me poverty; But the one who feeds the sparrow, Is the one who stands by me. And the path that be my portion, May be through the flame or flood, But His presence goes before me, And I’m covered with His blood." That song became my grandfather's story. Even now I can see him, as that song was being sung, standing with that book in his hand, slightly swaying, looking up, with tears on his well-worn cheeks. He may not have been eloquent in his speech, but he and his life spoke volumes to me. As you can tell, he is still speaking today.

I didn't really have in my mind to write about him today, but, that's what happens when you more or less share it as it comes to you. I sometimes write an entire paragraph that gets erased. I think deleted in the proper term for electronic text. I can't really explain why that happens but it does. Something just doesn't seem right about including it in that particular edition. Often, I make a mental note that I will revisit it at a later date. Mental note. Good luck with that one. I also ditch my stuff at times because I can't put my hands on the photo I had in mind to use. That typically does not make me very happy. I also have plenty of stuff floating around that will, as far as I am able, never see the light of day. I know we live in a world where folks spill their guts about everything. Well, some things are better left unsaid. My blog, after all, is not a tell-all venture. Another week has come and gone and I can't say that I have been overly productive, but, I can report that I have occupied my space. I do hope what I choose to share has some interest in it and that I can also convey a word of testimony on behalf of how God has worked in my life in the past, is working today, and my faith says He will continue His work going forward. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. May God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: