Friday, April 20, 2018

"There’s another side to taxes that goes completely unappreciated. According to a 2013 study by the Virginia-based Mercatus Center, Americans spend up to $378 billion annually in tax-related accounting costs, and in 2011, Americans spent more than 6 billion hours complying with the tax code. Those hours are equivalent to the annual hours of a workforce of 3.4 million, or the number of people employed by four of the largest U.S. companies—Wal-Mart, IBM, McDonald’s, and Target—combined." Walter E. Williams, Professor of Economics, George Mason University.

Good morning and welcome one and all to Friday, April 20, 2018. One day I need to search my blogs and see how many times I have opined on the subject of taxes. I know it would be a high number. Here's a little ditty I wrote ten years ago in one of my daily episodes: "I have not mentioned anything about the political landscape for some time. It’s a mess and watching and listening to the current round of point, counterpoint, soap opera stuff is enough to challenge anyone’s gag reflex. Meanwhile, seems housing is in a deep ditch at this time except for the fact that we just received notice from our taxing authority that while no one can sell their homes in our area, ours has just greatly appreciated in value for tax purposes. Up 42% over the past five years, therefore, I think it’s time to check out the protest process. No wonder back during the time Jesus was here people turned the other way when they saw Matthew or Zacheus coming. They were both tax collectors!" My point? It is something we all talk about. There are ancient quotes about taxation. The Bible has much to say about fairness and honesty in any transactions where money is exchanged or collected. An example from Proverbs 11:1, "The LORD abhors dishonest scales, but an accurate weight is his delight." One of my favorites comes from the Minister of Finance, Jean Baptiste Colbert, who served King Louis XIV of France in the 1600's, "The art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest possible amount of feathers with the smallest possible amount of hissing." I think I have fulfilled my hissing quota for today, therefore, I will move on, but, you can be sure you have not heard the last on this subject.

Just this past week, one of the employees affected leaked the letter sent to them by Sears announcing the closing of their store and the termination of all employees. This latest round of store closings is the continuing attempt by Sears to slow down the flow of red ink. There is no easy way to deal with terminating a large group of workers, however, this is the wording that caught my attention. "Employee terminations including your own is scheduled to commence on July 8, 2018 and with the remainder to occur during a 14-day period to be concluded on or about July 29, 2018. Please understand the entire facility is closing, and there are no applicable bumping or transfer rights. We hope to accomplish this closing with the least possible disruption to the lives of our employees and the community." Like I say, there is no easy way. Most of us grew up with Sears as a part of how we functioned. I know the Sears Catalog was a huge part of our growing up days, especially the Christmas Catalog or Wish Book as it was called. After this most recent announcement of store closings, Sears will end up with fewer than 940 locations, down from 3,150 stores six years ago. Think about it, during our lifetime, we have witnessed a sea change in how merchandising is done. We no doubt will all have drones bringing stuff to our doorstep in the near future. And, based on what I know about these kinds of terminations, there is no such thing as doing it with the least possible disruption to people's lives. May they all look to God during this time of transition and change. Amen.

I've terminated the employment of people during my time working. I've had my employment terminated due to circumstances beyond my reach or responsibility. These types of changes can be extremely difficult and can have long-lasting implications. I remember one woman in particular at the big Company that we terminated as part of a large layoff. She had been hired straight out of a business school and this had been her only job, for 20 years. She ended up having to go for treatment in a mental health facility. There was no least possible disruption for her. I oversaw the release of some 25 of our good people in one morning. It was gut-wrenching and heart-wrenching. My word to my managers was for them to think about the other person. The one sitting on the other side of the desk. Helping those people was my main goal. Fortunately, we did have a series of helps and benefits to aid their transition. That doesn't mean it was easy. I remember it even now like it was yesterday. The look in people's eyes is something you don't soon forget. Yes. It is a part of how life works, and, even more so today where it has become commonplace. This is why we all need the Lord. He is our refuge in time of trouble. He has promised never to leave us and to never forsake us. Without Him, I don't know how folks make it. I really don't. That reminds me to remind you. Have a great Saturday and may Sunday find us all at the meeting place to join hearts with other believers as we seek to praise and worship our God. Amen. .....More later.

No comments: