Tuesday, March 20, 2018

“There is no doubt that I have lots of words inside me; but at moments, like rush-hour traffic at the mouth of a tunnel, they jam.” ― John Updike

Hello and welcome to Tuesday, March 20, 2018. Here in our area Spring Break has ended and everyone is now back to doing their best to suppress their road rage inclinations. I saw several postings on back to work Monday where they were saying that traffic was completed jammed. Welcome back. We enjoyed you enjoying your time off. I hope you had a good time. We did. At least, the traffic was much lighter. Now we have the re-training in progress of all of those who forgot how to drive while they were away. It doesn't take many to make a mess. Oh well, this is life in the suburbs, or a facsimile thereof. It's grown up so much I'm not even sure it can be called a suburb anymore. I think it just might be a 'large human settlement' in the making. I used that one from Wiki that gave it as a way to describe the word 'city'. Whatever it is that we are, I can assure you we do not have enough lanes available to avoid gridlock. The catch-up projects are always problematic since they exacerbate the already upside down traffic problems and here's the truth, typically, by the time they finish, it's time to work on the next revision. How do you know this was not a part of the original plans? It's pretty clear when you see them having to dig up and relocate all the underground facilities to accommodate another lane to support traffic flow. I believe there was a master plan at one time but progress, spelled MONEY, typically always trumps any previous plans. Just a traffic user's perspective, coming to you live and in color from the ole blogger ranch. (See the photo above.)

I still see critters on my way into work in the wee hours of the morning. I sometimes do not recognize exactly what critter I am seeing. Yesterday morning I saw some eyes light up and when the animal turned to run away I could see only the outline of a bushy tail. The eyes were large. On that same trip, I saw another one that still has me scratching my head. I came around a curve and an animal was on the side of the road in the grass. My lights barely caught it. It looked silver. But, here's what really got me. Suddenly, it rushed me like it was going after my truck. It seemed to run almost like a dog that chases a vehicle. I have no idea what that was all about. I've heard about those raccoons that go mental and they act very strangely when they do. This didn't seem to be a raccoon, but, what in the world would have possessed it to charge my truck? Most of the time I spot different ones of all sizes and I have some idea what they might be, a skunk, an opossum, maybe a coyote or even the occasional giant owl. But these two left me puzzled. Any animal with a big bushy tail is not something I see very often and when the wild animals start chasing my vehicle, well, I'm not sure if the rest home is that far away for me. Yep. It does keep me focused on the road up ahead and on both sides.

I actually do not want to be on an episode of 'When Animals Attack.' Some days you do wonder if maybe you should have slept in. The same yesterday, I stopped to fuel up my pickup and guess what? They had some kind of computer problem and not one of the pumps was working. I went up to the door and I saw the fellow inside. He was working. The door was locked. I got his attention and he sign languaged me back that everything was down and no one could get gas until it was fixed. He shrugged his shoulders. I shrugged mine. Over 20 pumps and not one of them working. A computer issue. This is the world we live in. I mean, I would be glad for that little TV screen to not be able to show stuff while I'm filling up my vehicle, but, one would think they would have a way to sell gasoline when the system is trying to figure out what to show next. It was irritating, but, if that's the worst thing to happen to me, I suppose I can move on. Yeah. After I left that C-Store, that's when I saw the bushy-tailed figment of my imagination and that ferocious something that tried its version of road rage out on me. I don't think we have Tasmanian Devils in this area. See what I mean? I could have waited until after daylight. Maybe the gas pumps would have been working and all the animals would have been back in their dens with their little feet up on their little ottomans. Maybe. Maybe not. To put an exclamation point on today's visit, when I came out of the house this morning, a huge owl flew out of its nesting tree. I could hear its wings flapping and it let out that blood-curdling scream. Yikes!  Thanks, Mr. or Mrs. Owl for the spilled coffee. Enjoy the rest of your day and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: