Wednesday, March 14, 2018

“Facts are like cows. If you look them in the face long enough, they generally run away.” ― Dorothy L. Sayers, (1893-1957), Renowned British Crime Writer

Good morning. It's Wednesday, March 14, 2018, and I bid you a hearty hello and welcome. Since I have more or less appointed myself as a social media observer, critic, and curmudgeon at large, I thought I would flesh out how stuff goes viral without corroborating evidence as to the accuracy of the claims being made. That photo and caption were originally posted by a supposed U.S. veterans conservative organization. Many others grabbed it and ran with it. Now it is appearing all over the social media outlets. It states this information as being fact-based. There is a problem. It may be, but, thus far, fact-checking by different groups has not been able to validate its claim. The best they can conclude is that it is unproven. Why? Those assigned to the White House are selected via a process that is highly secretive. Only a few are ever privileged to serve in this arena. Now I will give you my thoughts about this photo. When I saw it, instead of saying "Look at that, un huh, I would have guessed that to be the case.", I immediately wanted to know if I could find out if it was true or not. I attempted to do that. The best I could come up with is that if it is true, no one has been able to validate it as being factual. However, and this is the big, however, it fits the preconditioned notions of many individuals and groups, therefore, it is appearing all over the place as FACT. It sure looks legit. I mean, 13,506. Just last week. And, zero, applied during the time that President Obama was in office. Not even one African American or Hispanic American wearing the uniform of our nation? This one, by the way, is mild compared to some of the others. Guess what? These types of memes come in all sizes from all viewpoints, far right, far left, and everything in between. I thought it was interesting enough to share. That's how it found its way onto my blog for today.

Part of appreciating where you are is in thinking about where you came from. Using the photos associated with Google Maps, I came up with two of the places we lived as we were making our way forward. The first one is a duplex located in Alexandria, Louisiana. We lived in the left side of that house from 1966 to 1968. It, of course, looked different back then. We ate us a whole lot of beans, rice, and homemade biscuits in that place. It was from that humble abode that I pretty much launched my white collar career. (I use the word career only as an identifier because I've never been a career oriented person, just someone who worked in different jobs at different times.) Our eldest, (Chris, now 52), was a newborn when we moved to Alexandria in the winter of 1965. We lived at first in a garage apartment before moving to the duplex. (The duplex was a little cheaper.) We made our home there. I have fond memories of us living in that place. The next photo is of the first house we purchased after having moved to the Houston area. I took a job with Pennzoil Company in October of 1969. I moved Marilyn and the two boys at that time, Chris and Jimmy, to an apartment complex in Southwest Houston in January of 1970. We bought that brand new 1,200 sq. foot house in 1971, the year our Rodney was born. It was small but we didn't know that it was. We just had to worry about making the $168.00 payments each month. Looking back reminds me of great times and also trying times, however, they help to reinforce the one thing that has been consistent, God and His mercy and grace. For that, and so much more, I am thankful. Amen.

The proverbial old saying does apply. There has been much water that has flowed under lots of bridges during my sojourn here on the planet. Yet, we find ourselves on the threshold of making something of our life, one day at a time, and that particular one day happens to be today. I enjoy remembering the past. In fact, I know some folks who tend to want to live in whatever version of their past that was more agreeable than where they are today. The truth is, we can't go back. We can't change yesterday, but, we can do what we are able to do with the time we have left and while the journey does begin with a first step, today is where progress will be made or not made. Today. I am reminded of that challenge offered to the Israelites by their faithful leader, Joshua. "Now therefore, fear the Lord, serve Him in sincerity and in truth, and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the River and in Egypt. Serve the Lord! And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." (Book of Joshua, Chapter 24, Verses 14-15) I thought about him saying the choice was to be made this day! And, that was true for them and it is also true for you and me today. Lord, help us to choose the way that will honor you. Today. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: