Thursday, March 15, 2018

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." ~ From the Apostle Paul's letter to the Philippians, Chapter 4, Verses 6-7, as rendered in the New King James Version of the Bible.

I don't know about you, but I could get used to a wee bit of heat in the wee hours of the morning while using the A/C on the drive home. There's just something about that combination that appeals to me. It's Thursday, March 15, 2018, and as is my frequent habit I'm talking about the weather. We have been flirting this week with a dip into the high thirties. I think we've maybe got to 41. That is so nice, especially when we think about how we've already been in the mid-80's this year. Okay. Yep. Add my name to the list because everyone does talk about the weather but no one does anything about it. Enough about that, because the cool will all be gone soon. We never know what a day might bring. The front that brought us this cooler air slammed into areas north of us, creating tornadic like winds that took down trees. Some of those trees fell at a campsite in East Texas. One tree fell on a tent and killed the mom. A bus carrying an area high school band on their way to Disneyworld lost control and plunged into a deep ravine. The driver was killed. Many of the students were injured but all of them are expected to recover. Spring Break. A time for enjoyment and leisure. However, life is filled with unexpected happenings and some of them can be tragic. That's why these folks needed the Lord to be with them and that's why you and I need Him as well, every single moment of every single day. I pray for all those impacted. May God be near to them all. Amen.

Yesterday, I received word about the passing of a former work associate's wife. He is really broken up about this situation. They had both lost their first spouses many years ago, but, were totally devoted to each other. Now, he is having to go through this again. She was discovered to have Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer just a few months ago. I worked with him for a number of years before he retired from here at the Company. He and I were always big in kidding each other. This is a sad deal for him. He had been devoted to his first wife and they raised a family. She had been devoted to her first husband and they had raised a family. It's good to know they are believers in the Lord Jesus Christ. They know this life is not the end. Yet, my heart goes out to my old work buddy because I know he is hurting. Jesus felt that first hand at the grave of his friend, Lazarus. Grieving is a natural part of our sojourn. However, we are able to grieve with hope even as the Apostle Paul advised, "Our friends, we want you to know the truth about those who have died, so that you will not be sad, as are those who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will take back with Jesus those who have died believing in him. What we are teaching you now is the Lord's teaching: we who are alive on the day the Lord comes will not go ahead of those who have died. There will be the shout of command, the archangel's voice, the sound of God's trumpet, and the Lord himself will come down from heaven. Those who have died believing in Christ will rise to life first; then we who are living at that time will be gathered up along with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will always be with the Lord." (1st Thessalonians 4:13-17, as rendered in the Good News Translation).

I am doing this, that, and the other in support of closing out mom's and dad's earthly affairs. Based on what I've experienced thus far, I've learned to preface any coordination and communication with my co-executor brother, and others, by using this moniker: Nothing is easy. We knew it would be this way. Others have shared their war stories. The fellow who owns our Company had this to do a few years ago with the passing of his dad. It was supposedly all taken care of and since there wasn't a lot of business and family involved, it was thought to be easy. Nope. It took him two years to get it all taken care of. I think we've done fairly well by that standard since we're still in the first year, however, we still have a ways to go. That too is a part of life here. It makes me want to do a better job for my wife and children in terms of preparing for that coming day. I have that on my to-do list when the smoke clears from the current project at hand. I can hear them now. He was a man filled up with great intentions. Hopefully, I will get my 'round to-its' prioritized where this one gets completed. I don't want to see Paw Paw Mac in heaven and when he asks me what happened and I say, "Well, this is not how I wanted it to go." I well know what he will say, "Well, son, if that's not what you intended, what exactly did you intend?" How many times did I hear that one? Let me quickly add, I will be so glad to hear anything from him again! May God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: