Tuesday, March 27, 2018

“Providence is wiser than you, and you may be confident it has suited all things better to your eternal good than you could do had you been left to your own option.” ― John Flavel, (1628-1691) The Mystery of Providence

I just checked the calendar and discovered that it's Tuesday, March 27, 2018. I typically have my act together a little better than I have of late. It's left me feeling like I'm mostly behind before I even get started each day. I think it most likely reflects the proverbial, too many irons in the fire at the same time. Or, as they used to say back home, more than one can say grace over. I know many of you can feel my pain. And, I can't really say I've reached the point of my grandfather's assessment when he was dragging. That being, "I feel like I've been pulled through a rat hole backwards." On my way in this morning I did, however, begin thinking of things that I am thankful for. You know. Like the old song, I began to name them one by one. That really does help to put life into a more positive perspective. That will do it nearly every time. I am blessed. Even when I am trying to take care of all kinds of things, including my job, I am blessed. Even when things don't always go like I want them to, I am blessed. Even when it does seem like I'm not getting anywhere fast, I am blessed. Jonah was dealing with some troubles as he was in the belly of that fish. Here's something he said that encouraged me today, "When my soul fainted within me, I remembered the Lord; And my prayer went up to You, Into Your holy temple." (Jonah Chapter 2, Verse 7) Amen.

I've never been one to hide my head in the sand when it comes to the world we live in each day. However, the ongoing, upside down, undergirded by the relentless craziness emanating from our seat of government on a 24x7 basis is enough to make me reconsider. These days, I get up and wonder 'what next' as the day unfolds. It's obvious that our President has not led a life characterized by moral purity. Most everyone knew that when we ended up with the alternatives that were placed before us. His backstory has become the basis for relentless attacks on any and all who are willing to admit they voted for him. In particular, Christians are being hounded as the secular media attempts to portray Bible believers as endorsing and approving of ungodly behavior. Some Christian organizations and ministries have been lulled into having this as their primary focus instead of presenting and spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ. That's sad, folks, but true. And, it looks very much like the way in which our enemy does his work. We, who are believers, were faced with what was placed before us. We could abstain from voting. We could write in a candidate. Or, we could choose between the two set before us. Many of us chose to go with what we believed was the better of the two for the good of our nation. I was not for candidate Trump but I will never ever apologize for not voting for Hillary Clinton. That's my story and so far I'm sticking to it.

First time to ever see or meet my nephew, Alex. 
This past Sunday afternoon, the wife and I had lunch with a person connected to our family that we had never met. No family is typically what it seems. My dad had a wife and daughter before he and my mom met and married. No one knew. That daughter is my half-sister. I talked to her one time for about 30 minutes. That was several years ago. The photo is of her son, my nephew. He and his wife were passing through the Houston area and we were able to have lunch with them and spent some two hours talking about family. He carries our family name as his middle name. He is 54 years young. He has always wondered about his grandfather. That would be my dad who passed away in 1954. We had a wonderful time of fellowship with these folks. Many of you who do read my blogs recognize that some ten or more years ago, my son Rodney and I started attempting to fill in some blanks on our family tree. It led us into a tangled maze, but, this past Sunday, sitting at the Olive Garden Restuarant, it all seemed to have been worth it. It is certainly true that none of us, as embryos, get to choose the family that we become a part of. However, God knows. Period. Regardless of how things unfold, He knows, He cares, and He always is there for those who will hear and respond to His call. I'm so thankful that we do share that truth as a common bond with these, our long lost relatives. May God help you to have a great rest of today and we'll see what breaks out on the radar screen tomorrow. Take care. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: