Monday, March 5, 2018

“Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but has not solved one yet.” ― Maya Angelou

What in the world is going on in our culture? I'm waiting. Thanks for showing up today here at our regular meet-up place, the ole blogger ranch. Today's visit is being brought to you by back-to-work Monday, March 5, 2018. Yep. I'm a little peeved to get us started today. Here's what happened. "We don’t have to agree on everything to get along, be civil to each other and enjoy each others company," tweeted USA bobsledder, Lauren Gibbs, who posted a selfie of her with IvankaTrump and the President's Press Secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders. This tweet had to be deleted after an onslaught of hate. The very thought of this African American athlete having her photo made with the President's representative to the closing ceremonies of this year's winter Olympics, well, her very thought was pounced upon by the 'thought police'. Who knows? She may end up needing protection from the haters who might even try to do her harm. She attempted to make her point in the comment she attached to the photo. She was not endorsing President Trump, his daughter, or his administration. She was taking a photo with the person representing our country. Stuff like this, to me, may depict the reality of our hate driven world, but, it still seems to border on the ridiculous. To think that someone doing something so normal, so respectful, and so much in keeping with the purported ideals of the Olympic spirit, well, it just galls me. That's it. I'm flat out galled. What about you?

Now here's something I thought was really funny. A little backstory first. Many years ago I worked with a fellow who typically thought he was on the leading edge in just about every category. He was the first to get one of the stand up desks. He couldn't wait to show it to me so he could gloat about how much more productive and effective he could be. I recently saw an article quoting a recent study that indicated how stand up desks may not be the best answer for an efficient office environment. While too much sitting is well known to be problematic, well, now they tell us the stand up desks have produced their own set of health-related problems. Joint pain and fatigue are just two of the issues found, but, the most interesting finding was how the stand up desks actually were shown to slow down problem-solving and planning activities versus the traditional office desk arrangement. I can still remember him prancing forth and back while explaining how much more he would be able to get done than folks like me who were destined to sit behind a desk. It just goes to show you, give it time. That's right. Give it time, before we will know exactly how something will or will not work. Just so you know, I do try to get up and walk around some to offset so much sitting at my workstation. I would, however, be happy to try out one of those adult sized jumper deals like the one in the cartoon.

"Is this you?"
I am a sucker for those fundraisers at the checkout register. "Sir, would you like to add a dollar for breast cancer awareness?" ~ "Sir, would you like to make a donation for the muscular dystrophy campaign?" ~ "Sir, would you like to purchase this bag of groceries to help feed the hungry?" ~ And, so it goes. The other day I was at a convenience store where I had picked up a few snack items for my lunch. The lady at the register had a very heavy accent. I think she was from a Middle Eastern country but I couldn't be sure of that. At any rate, she mumbled out something and showed me a shamrock. I got it. It was some kind of fundraiser for a childhood disease campaign. Or, I think that is what it was. She asked me to write my name on the shamrock so she could tack it with the others on the wall. I wrote out in big letters, SANTA. She looked at it and I handed her one of our cards. Up to that point, I hadn't really understood her that well, but, I did get her question. Very clear. She looked at the card, looked at me, and then asked, "Is this you?" Really? I responded, "What do you think?" She laughed. I didn't. I don't give out ho-ho-ho's to those who have trouble recognizing my photo ID. Oh well, it takes all kinds. That's what she may have been saying in a foreign language to her coworker standing nearby. You think what? No telling what she was saying about me? That, my friend, might be correct. Since I don't have a clue, I'll go with my interpretation. Have yourself a great rest of the day and may God help us all to love others in the same way that He so loved the world.  Amen. ....More later.

No comments: