Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Your daily dose of anecdotes defined as a usually short narrative of an interesting, amusing, or biographical incident, with me, the short part is typically ignored.

Our Card.
It's Wednesday folks, September 27, 2017, and I'm sure some of you know what that means. Most likely, very few will note that on September 27, 1777, British General William Howe occupied Philadelphia during the American Revolution. I actually didn't have anything in particular in mind, I was just looking for a way to start the day. Here is a little Santa Claus story that I will not soon forget. We were in our local Dairy Queen working on our abs. We were seeing how flabby we could make them. While there, I noticed a small Chinese girl with her parents and so I went over to their table and gave them our souvenir card. The little girl was delighted. When they got up to leave, the man, an American, came over to our table and talked about how nice our card is and how thrilled the little girl was to have it. She came over. He said she is two years old. She looked at me and said, clear as day, Santa Claus. I was going to point out the wife as Mrs Claus but the man said she knew who she was. He said that when I left their table he asked where I had gone and the little girl pointed to Mrs Claus on the card. She is two years old. She speaks fluent Chinese and English. He said she is so proficient she corrects his Chinese and the wife's English. She gave me a high-five and clung to our little card. As the man was leaving he asked about the wife and I. I told him we will soon be married 53 years. He asked how old I am. I told him 71 and counting. He said to add two years and I would catch up with him. His young Chinese wife may have been in her mid to late twenties. He said they would be returning in January to China where they live. He said the little girl will not forget us. I don't doubt that for one minute!

Convenience can be costly. Remember, you heard that here. I recently restocked my supply of little K-cup pods from the Community Coffee company. It was on sale. I paid $115 for 216 of the little units that make one cup each. I saved about $30 on the purchase. For many years I used ground coffee. A one pound bag will make around 50 cups as I make it. (72 or more for most people) One pound cost about $8, making each cup as I make it cost around 16 cents. My on sale K-cup pods average about 54 cents per cup. That's still a lot cheaper than buying it at a coffee shop, but, it does remind me that convenience can be costly. And, for me, using the Keurig is much more convenient. The one cup at a time works best for me because I get a freshly brewed cup each time in just a few seconds. There are no grounds to dispose of, I just yank out the old pod and throw it away. When I used the ground coffee, if I made more than one cup, I typically didn't like for it sit for a long time on the burner, therefore, I would make the coffee, turn it off, and then when I wanted another cup I would take it to the microwave and heat it up. (My wife will tell you I still heat up my little K-cup made coffee in the microwave because I like my coffee hot. But, that's a different story.) Just so you know, it's for only 30 seconds or maybe a little longer if I am travelling. She does often wonder out loud if I have any taste buds left. I'm not sure, but my abs might have something to say about it. Just say'in.

I don't mind making fun of my self, but, to be truthful, I often wish I didn't have so much material to work with. I've often said and believe me, it is the truth, there is much that will likely never be talked about. You know, it's put away, in that famous Al Gore Lock Box. I've withdrawn a few over the years but I think I've proved my point that most of us can be pretty funny if we just stop and take the time to laugh. At ourselves. I need to move on before one of those that I've hidden away comes to mind. Just joking. A little. Very little. Speaking of traumatic experiences, I read about a fellow who said that when he was about six, he and his sister were watching TV when a brief infomercial came on. The ad was for a cream that would make you ten years younger. The sister told her younger brother she was going to order it and rub it all over him. He was terrified. That reminds me. Oh well, I can see our time has come and gone. Thanks for showing up today. I will tell you, our country is one messed up mess. What can be done about it? I think praying for God's help is what we all should be doing. If there ever was a time when we need His intervention, it is now. Heal our land, oh Lord. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: